Heterogeneous localization of some purine enzymes in subcellular fractions of rat brain and cerebellum
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The activity of guanine deaminase (GAH, E.C. 184.108.40.206) was lower in rat cerebellum soluble and microsomal fractions than in rat brain subfractions. Adenosine deaminase (ADA, E.C. 220.127.116.11) activity was released in higher proportion than guanine deaminase, purine nucleoside phosphorylase (PNP, E.C. 18.104.22.168), 5′-nucleotidase (5′N, E.C. 22.214.171.124), and lactate (LDH, E.C. 126.96.36.199) and malate (MDH, E.C. 188.8.131.52) dehydrogenase in press-juices of rat brain. Furthermore, nerve ending-derived fractions (synaptosomes and synaptic vesicles) showed an enrichment of adenosine deaminase and also of 5′-nucleotidase. The action of deoxycholate over the subfractions did not increase the activity of either enzyme. The contrary occurred with the remaining enzymes studied. Thus, it is possible that one set of enzymes are located on the surface of the particulate vesicles, whereas another set are located inside these vesicles, suggesting a compartmentation of purine catabolic enzymes in different areas of the central nervous system.
- Burnstock, G. 1975. Purine nucleotides and nucleosides as neurotransmitters or neuromodulators in the central nervous system. Pages 470–477.in Usdin, Hamburg, andBarchas (eds.), Neuroregulators and Psychiatric Disorders. Oxford University Press. New York.
- Burnstock, G., andBrown, C. M., 1981. An introduction to purinergic receptors. Pages 1–45,in Burnstock, G. ed.). Purinergic Receptors (Receptors and Recognition. Series B, Vol. 12). pp. 1–45, Chapman and Hall. London.
- Daly, J. W., Phillis, J. W., Kuroda, Y. andUi, M. (eds.) 1983. Physiology and Pharmacology of Adenosine Derivatives. Raven Press. New York.
- Salganicoff, L., andDeRobertis, E., 1965). Subcellular distribution of the enzymes of the glutamic acid, glutamine, and γ-aminobutyric acid cycles in rat brain. J. Neurochem. 12:287–309.
- Burnstock, G. 1972. Purinergic nerves. Pharmacol. Rev. 24:509–581.
- Trams, E. G., andLauter, C. J. On the sidedness of plasma-membrane enzymes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 345:180–197.
- Trams, E. G., andLauter, C. J., 1975. Adenosine deaminase in cultured brain cells. Biochem. J. 152:681–687.
- Kai, M., White, G. L., andHawthorne, J. N., 1966. The phosphatidylinositol kinase of rat brain. Biochem. J. 101, 328–337.
- Pull, I., andMcIlwain, H., 1974. Rat cerebral-cortex adenosine deaminase activity and its subcellular distribution. Biochem. J. 144:37–41.
- Phillips, E., andNewsholme, E. A. 1979. Maximum activities, properties and distribution of 5′-nucleotidase, adenosine kinase and adenosine deaminase in rat and human brain. J. Neurochem. 33:553–558.
- Heymann, D., Reddington, M., andKreutzberg, G. W., 1984. Subcellular localization of 5′-nucleotidase in rat brain. J. Neurochem. 43:971–978.
- Kumar, S., Tewari, K., andKrishnan, P. S., 1965. Guanine deaminase activity in rat brain and liver. Biochem. J. 95:797–802.
- Amberson, W. R., Roisen, F. J., andBauer, A. C., The attachment of glycolytic enzymes to muscle ultrastructure. J. Cell Comp. Physiol. 66, 71–90.
- Franco, R., Canela, E. I., andBozal, J., 1986. Enzymes of the purine metabolism in rat brain microsomes. Neurochem. Res. 11:407–422.
- Mallol, J., andBozal, J., 1983. Modification of 5′-nucleotidase activity by divalent cations and nucleotides. J. Neurochem. 40:1205–1211.
- Tamir, H., Rapport, M. M., andRoizin, L., 1974. Preparation of synaptosomes and vesicles with sodium distrizoate. J. Neurochem. 23:943–949.
- Soller, M., Koenig, H., Milroie, R., Hughes, C., andLu, C. Y. 1973. Isolation and characterization of soluble acidic lipoproteins from rat brain synaptic vesicles. J. Neurochem, 21:557–572.
- Warburg, O., andChristian, W., 1942. Isolation and characterization of enolase. Biochem. Z. 310, 384-421. In accordance with a nomogram by Adams E. Cal. Corp. Biochem. Res.
- Lowry, O. H., Rosenbrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., andRandall, R. J. 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193:265–275.
- Talwar, G. P., Goel, B. K., Mansoor, M., andPanda, N. C., 1961. Guanase activity in rat brain. J. Neurochem. 8:310–311.
- Mansoor, M., Talwar, G. P., andKalyanakar, G. D., 1963. Brain guanine deaminase purification, properties and regional distribution. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 77:307–317.
- Dawson, D. M. 1971. Absence of guanine deaminase from cerebellum. Neurology 21:621–626.
- Carpene, E., Falasca, A., Hakim, G., andSolaini, G., 1976. Distribution of guanase in some hog tissues. Bull. Soc. Ital. Biol. Sper. 52:497–502.
- Tata, J. R. 1972. Preparation and properties of microsomal and submicrosomal fractions from secretory and non-secretory tissues. Pages 185–213,in Birnie, G. D. (ed.). Subcellular Components. Butterworths. London.
- Stanley, K., Edwards, M. R., andLuzio, J. P., 1980. Subcellular distribution and movement of 5′-nucleotidase in rat cells. Biochem. J. 186:59–69.
- Cammer, W., Sirota, S. R., Zimmerman, T. R., andNorton, W. T., 1980. 5′-nucleoti in rat brain myelin. J. Neurochem. 35:367–373.
- Depierre, J. W., andKarnowsky, 1974. Ecto-enzymes of the guinea pig polymorphonuclear leukocyte. I: Evidence for an ecto-adenosine monophosphatase,-adenosine triphosphatase and-p-nitrophenyl phosphatase. J. Biol. Chem. 249:7111–7120.
- Gurd, J. W., andEvans, W. H., 1974. Distribution of liver plasma-membrane 5′-Nucleotidase as indicated by its reaction with anti-plasma membrane serum. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 164, 305–311.
- Newby, A. C., Luzio, J. P., andHales, C. N., 1975. The properties and extracellular localization of 5′-nucleotidase of the rat fat-cell plasma membrane. Biochem. J. 146:625–633.
- Whittaker, V. P., Michaelson, I. A., andKirkland, R. J. A., 1964. The separation of synaptic vesicles from nerve-ending particles (‘synaptosomes’). Biochem. J. 90:293–303.
- Morgan, I. G., Vincendon, G., andGombos, G. 1973. Adult rat brain synaptic vesicles. I. Isolation and characterization. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 320:671–680.
- Widnell, C. C. 1972. Cytochemical localization of 5′-nucleotidase in subcellular fractions isolated from rat liver. I. Origin of 5′-nucleotidase activity in microsomes. J. Cell. Biol. 52:542–558.
- Andy, R. J. andKornfeld, R., 1982. The adenosine deaminase binding protein of human skin fibroblasts is located on the cell surface. J. Biol. Chem. 257, 7922–7925.
- Widnell, C. C. 1982. Evidence for a continual exchange of 5′-nucleotidase between the cell surface and cytoplasmic membranes in cultured rat fibroblasts. Cell 28:61–70.
- Lelievre, L., Zachowski, A., Maget-Dana, R., Aubry, J., andJonkman-Bark, G., 1977. Differences in the modulations of the soluble or plasma-membrane-bound 5′-nucleotidase. Eur. J. Biochem. 80, 185–191.
- Centelles, J. J., Franco, R., Canela, E. I., andBozal, J., 1985. Kinetics of the 5′-nucleotidase and the adenosine deaminase in subcellular fractions of rat brain. Neurochem. Res. Submitted.
- Scott, T. G. 1967. The distribution of 5′-nucleotidase in the rat brain of mouse. J. Comp. Neurol. 129:97–113.
- Heterogeneous localization of some purine enzymes in subcellular fractions of rat brain and cerebellum
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 423-435
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors