Tryptophan and phenylalanine transport in rat cerebral cortex slices as influenced by sodium ions
- E. R. Korpi
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Tryptophan and phenylalanine transport in rat cerebral cortex slices was studied in sodium-free media and during influx and efflux of sodium ions. Choline as a substitute for sodium in incubation media increased efflux and decreased influx of tryptophan and phenylalanine. Exchange of intracellular [3H]tryptophan and [3H]phenylalanine with extracellular unlabeled histidine, phenylalanine, and tryptophan was sodium-independent. Efflux of sodium ions from the slices had no immediate effects on phenylalanine and tryptophan efflux, but influx decreased. Influx of sodium into the sodium-depleted slices provoked a transient increase in tryptophan and phenylalanine efflux and also enhanced influx. The results are interpreted to indicate that sodium ions may possibly affect the function of the primary transport sites for aromatic amino acids at cerebral membranes by controlling the orientation of their reactive sites towards the intracellular and extracellular sides, rather than by being directly involved in the binding of amino acids to the carriers.
- McKean, C. M., Boggs, D. E., andPeterson, N. A. 1968. The influence of high phenylalanine and tyrosine on the concentrations of essential amino acids in brain. J. Neurochem. 15:235–241.
- Tyfield, L. A., andHolton, J. B. 1976. The effect of high concentrations of histidine on the level of other amino acids in plasma and brain of the mature rat. J. Neurochem. 26:101–105.
- Lajtha, A. 1974. Amino acid transport in the brain in vivo and in vitro. Pages 25–41,in Wolstenholme, G. E. W., andFitzsimons, D. W. (eds.), Aromatic Amino Acids in the Brain, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Barbosa, E., Joanny, P., andCorriol, J. 1970. Accumulation active du tryptophane dans le cortex cérébral isolé du rat. C. R. Soc. Biol. Paris 164:345–350.
- Barbosa, E., Herreros, B., andOjeda, J. L. 1971. Amino acid accumulation by brain slices: Interactions among tryptophan, phenylalanine and histidine. Experientia 27:1281–1282.
- Vahvelainen, M.-L., andOja, S. S. 1975. Kinetic analysis of phenylalanine-induced inhibition in the saturable influx of tyrosine, tryptophan, leucine and histidine into brain cortex slices from adult and 7-day-old rats. J. Neurochem. 24:885–892.
- Lädhesmäki, P., andHannus, M.-L. 1977. Effect of aromatic acids on the influx of aromatic amino acids in rat brains slices. Exp. Brain Res. 30:539–548.
- Laakso, M.-L. 1978. Efflux of phenylalanine and tryptophan from cerebral cortex slices of adult and 7-day-old rats. Acta Physiol. Scand. 102:74–83.
- Korpi, E. R., andOja, S. S. 1978. Tryptophan influx into rat brain slices in different buffers and in the presence of other amino acids and albumin. J. Neurochem. 30:925–927.
- Korpi, E. R., andOja, S. S. 1979. Efflux of phenylalanine from rat cerebral cortex slices as influenced by extra-and intracellular amino acids. J. Neurochem. 32:789–796.
- Kopri, E. R., andOja, S. S. 1979. Exchange and efflux of tryptophan from superfused rat cerebral cortex slices. Exp. Brain Res. 36:99–106.
- Kiely, M., andSourkes, T. L. 1972. Transport ofl-tryptophan into slices of rat cerebral cortex. J. Neurochem. 19:2863–2872.
- Lajtha, A., andSershen, H. 1975. Inhibition of amino acid uptake by the absence of Na+ in slices of brain. J. Neurochem. 24:667–672.
- Laakso, M.-L., andOja, S. S. 1976. Factors influencing the inulin space in cerebral cortex slices from adult and 7-day-old rats. Acta Physiol. Scand. 97:486–494.
- Siegel, S. 1956. Nonparametric Statistics: For the Behavioral Sciences. Pages 152–156. Kōgakusha, Tokyo.
- Hertz, L., andSchou, M. 1962. Univalent cations and the respiration of brain-cortex slices. Biochem. J. 85:93–104.
- Nakazawa, S., andQuastel, J. H. 1968. Effects of inorganic salts and of ouabain on some metabolic responses of rat cerebral cortex slices to cationic and electrical stimulations. Can. J. Biochem. 46:355–362.
- Chan, S. L., andQuastel, J. H. 1970. Effects of neurotropic drugs on sodium influx into rat brain cortex in vitro. Biochem. Pharmacol. 19:1071–1085.
- Bourke, R. S., andTower, D. B. 1966. Fluid compartmentation and electrolytes of cat cerebral cortex in vitro. II. Sodium, potassium and chloride of mature cerebral cortex. J. Neurochem. 13:1099–1117.
- Cohen, S. R., andLajtha, A. 1970. The effect of tonicity,d-mannitol,d-sorbitol, and choline chloride on the water content of mouse brain slices, and on the compartmentation of the space indicated by “extracellular space markers”. Brain Res. 23:77–93.
- Rossier, J., Spantidakis, Y., andBenda, P. 1977. The effect of Cl− on choline acetyltransferase kinetic parameters and a proposed role for Cl− in the regulation of acetylcholine synthesis. J. Neurochem. 29:1007–1012.
- Skou, J. C. 1957. The influence of some cations on an adenosine triphosphatase from peripheral nerves. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 23:394–401.
- Hesketh, J. E. 1977. Effects of potassium and lithium on sodium transport from blood to cerebrospinal fluid. J. Neurochem. 28:597–603.
- Ibata, Y., Piccoli, F., Pappas, G. D., andLajtha, A. 1971. An electron microscopic and biochemical study on the effect of cyanide and low Na+ on rat brain slices. Brain Res. 30:137–158.
- Hillman, H. H., andMcIlwain, H. 1961. Membrane potentials in mammalian cerebral tissues in vitro: Dependence on ionic environment. J. Physiol. (London) 157:263–278.
- Joanny, P. andHillman, H. 1964. Further studies on the potassium and sodium concentrations of mammalian cerebral slices in vitro. J. Neurochem. 11:413–422.
- Sershen, H., andLajtha, A. 1976. Perinatal changes of transport systems for amino acids in slices of mouse brain. Neurochem. Res. 1:417–428.
- Clayman, S., andScholefield, P. G. 1969. The uptake of amino acids by mouse pancreas in vitro. IV. The role of exchange diffusion. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 173:277–289.
- Battistin, L., Piccoli, F., andLajtha, A. 1972. Heteroexchange of amino acids in incubated slices of brain. Archs Biochem. Biophys. 151:102–111.
- Reiser, S., andChristiansen, P. A. 1973. Exchange transport between various amino acids and alanine in isolated intestinal epithelial cells. Life Sci. 12 (Part II): 25–33.
- Heinz, E., andWalsh, P. M. 1958. Exchange diffusion, transport, and intracellular level of amino acids in Ehrlich carcinoma cells. J. Biol. Chem. 233:1488–1493.
- Johnstone, R. M., andQuastel, J. H. 1961. Effects of lipotropic agents on exchange diffusion in Ehrlich ascites carcinoma cells. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 46:527–532.
- Christensen, H. N. 1969. Some special kinetic problems of transport. Adv. Enzymol. 32:1–20.
- Hoare, D. G. 1972. The transport ofl-leucine in human erythrocytes: A new kinetic analysis. J. Physiol. (London) 221:311–329.
- Bennett, J. P., Jr., Logan, W. J., andSnyder, S. H. 1973. Amino acids as central nervous transmitters: The influence of ions, amino acid analogues, and ontogeny on transport systems forl-glutamic andl-aspartic acids and glycine into central nervous synaptosomes of the rat. J. Neurochem. 21:1533–1550.
- Tryptophan and phenylalanine transport in rat cerebral cortex slices as influenced by sodium ions
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 415-431
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- E. R. Korpi (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Tampere, Box 607, SF-33101, Tampere 10, Finland