Transport of tryptophan and tyrosine in rat brain slices in the presence of lithium
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Slices from rat cerebral cortex, brain stem, and cerebellum were incubated in media in which 1, 10, or 100 mmol/liter NaCl had been replaced by equimolar amounts of LiCl. The initial influx fo tryptophan and tyrosine into the slices diminished in the lithium-containing media. The lithium-induced inhibition was not competitive. The equilibrium accumulation of the amino acids was also less in the presence of LiCl. The incorporation of tryptophan and tyrosine into the proteins of the slices was inhibited by lithium. There were no clear differences between the brain areas studied. It has been suggested earlier that a lithium treatment enhances thesin vivo cerebral uptake of these aromatic amino acids. The present results show that such a possible increase in uptake is not a direct effect of lithium ions on cell membranes.
- Akedo, H., andChristensen, H. N. 1962. Nature of insulin action of amino acid uptake by the isolated diaphragm. J. Biol. Chem. 237:118–122.
- Barber, H. E., Welch, B. L., andMacKay, D. 1967. The use of the logarithmic transformation in the calculation of the transport parameters of a system that obeys Michaelis-Menten kinetics. Biochem. J. 103:251–255.
- Barondes, S. H. 1974. Do tryptophan concentrations limit protein synthesis at specific sites in the brain? Pages 263–274,in Wolstenholme, G. E. W., andFitzsimons, D. W. (eds.), Aromatic Amino Acids in the Brain, Ciba Foundation Symposium 22(new series), Associated Scientific Publishers, Amsterdam.
- Bauman, A., Bourgoin, S., Penda, P., Glowinski, J., andHamon, M. 1974. Characteristics of tryptophan accumulation by glial cells. Brain Res. 66:253–263.
- Berg, W. E. 1968. Effect of lithium on the rate of protein synthesis in the sea urchin embryo. Exp. Cell Res. 50:133–139.
- Christensen, S. 1974. Accumulation of lithium in the particulate fraction of rat brain following its long-term administration. J. Neurochem. 23:1299–1301.
- de Almeida, D. F., Chain, E. B., andPocchiari, F. 1965. Effect of ammonium and other ions on the glucose-dependent active transport ofl-histidine in clices of rat brain cortex. Biochem. J. 95:793–796.
- de Bernardi, F., Cigada, M. L., Maci, R., andRanzi, S. 1969. On protein synthesis during the development of lithium-treated embryos. Experientia 25:211–213.
- Dowd, J. E., andRiggs, D. S. 1965. A comparison of estimates of Michaelis-Menten kinetic constants from various linear transformations. J. Biol. Chem. 240:863–869.
- Dunlop, D. S., van Elden, D., andLajtha, A. 1974. Measurements of rates of protein synthesis in rat brain slices. J. Neurochem. 22:821–830.
- Dunlop, D. S., van Elden, D., andLajtha, A. 1975. Optimal conditions for protein synthesis in incubated slices of rat brain. Brain Res. 99:303–318.
- Eadie, G. S. 1942. The inhibition of cholinesterase by physostigmine and prostigmine. J. Biol. Chem 146:85–93.
- Everett, G. A., andHolley, R. W. 1961. Effect of minerals on amino acid incorporation by a rat-liver preparation. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 46:390–391.
- Gershon, S., andShopsin, B. (eds.)1973. Lithium. Its Role in Psychiatric Research and Treatment, Plenum Press, New York.
- Greenspan, K., Aronoff, M. S., andBogdanski, D. F. 1970. Effects of lithium carbonate on turnover and metabolism of norepinephrine in the rat brain—correlation to gross behavioral effects. Pharmacology 3:129–136.
- Joanny, F., Barbosa, E., Hillman, H., andCorriol, J. 1971. The uptake and efflux of glycine from rat cerebral cortex slices. Biochem. J. 125:255–260.
- Knapp, S., andMandell, A. J. 1973. Short- and long-term lithium administration: Effects on the brain's serotonergic biosynthetic systems. Science 180:645–647.
- Laakso, M.-L. 1978. Efflux of phenylalanine and tryptophan from cerebral cortex slices of adult and 7-day-old rats. Acta Physiol. Scand. 102:74–83.
- Lahiri, S., andLajtha, A. 1964. Cerebral amino acid transport in vitro I. Some requirements and properties of uptake. J. Neurochem. 11:77–86.
- Lajtha, A., andSershen, H. 1975. Inhibition of amino acid uptake by the absence of Na+ in slices br brain. J. Neurochem. 24:667–672.
- Lubin, M. 1963. A priming reaction in protein synthesis. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 72:345–348.
- Männistö, P. T., andVahvelainen, M.-L. 1974. Inhibitory offect of lithium on uptake and incorporation of tyrosine into protein in three thyroid preparations in vitro. Med. Biol. 52:250–254.
- Neame, K. D., andRichards, T. G. 1972. Elementary Kinetics of Membrane-Carrier Transport, Blackwell, Oxford.
- Oja, S. S., andVahvelainen, M.-L. 1975. Transport of amino acids in brain slices. Pages 67–137,in Marks, N., andRodnight,R. (eds.), Research Methods in Neurochemistry, Vol. 3, Plenum Press, New York.
- Oksenkrug, G. F., andKiseleva, I.P. 1971. Lithium in depressing the brain serotonin level in albino mice. Farmakol. Toksikol. 34:405–408.
- Perez-Cruet, J., Tagliamonte, A., Tagliamonte, P., andGessa, G. L. 1971. Stimulation of serotonin serthesis by lithium. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 178:325–330.
- Ploeger, J. 1974. The effects of lithium on excitable cell membranes. On the mechanism of inhibition of the sodium pump on nonmyelinated nerve fibers of the rat. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 25:316–321.
- Poitou, P., Guerinot, F., andBohuon, C. 1974. Effect of lithium on central metabolism of 5-hydroxytryptamine. Psychopharmacologia 38:75–80.
- Scildkraut, J., Logue, M. A., andDodge, G. A. 1969. The effects of lithium salts on the turnover and metabolism of norepinephrine in rat brain. Psychopharmacologia 14:135–141.
- Sheard, M. H., andAghajanian, G. K. 1970. Neuronally activated metabolism of brain serotonin: Effect of lithium. Life Sci. 9:285–290.
- Stern, D. N., Fieve, R. R., Neff, N. H., andCosta, E. 1969. The effect of lithium chloride administration on brain and heart norepinephrine turnover rates. Psychopharmacologia 14:315–322.
- Umbreit, W. W., Burris, R. H., andStauffer, J. F. 1964. Manometric Techniques, 4th ed. pp. 132–133. Burgess, Minneapolis.
- Vahvelainen, M.-L., andOja, A. A. 1969. The uptake and incorporation into protein of [3H]tyrosine by slices prepared from developing rat brain cortex. Brain Res. 13:227–233.
- Vahvelainen, M.-L., andOja, S. S. 1972. Kinetics of influx of phenylalanine, tyrosine, tryptophan, histidine and leucine into slices of brain cortex from adult and 7-dayold rats. Brain Res. 40:477–488.
- Vahvelainen, M.-L., andOja, S.SS. 1975. Kinetic analysis of phenylalanine-induced inhibition in the saturable influx of tyrosine, tryptophan, leucine and histidine into brain cortex slices from adult and 7-day-old rats. J. Neurochem. 24:885–892.
- Transport of tryptophan and tyrosine in rat brain slices in the presence of lithium
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 411-423
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors