Inheritance of the black form of the leopardPanthera pardus
- Rov Robinson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The black form of the leopard is shown to be inherited as an autosomal monogenic recessive to the spotted wild type. Pairings of black animals inter se have a significantly smaller litter size than other possible pairings. Two reasons are offered for this: (1) that black animals may be slightly more inbred than the spotted or (2) black animals may be more prone to pre-natal loss than the spotted. The significance of the latter possibility is briefly discussed in relation to the persistence of the spotted/black polymorphism for areas of South-east Asia.
- Fisher R. A. (1935). The effect of methods of ascertainment upon the estimation of frequencies.Annal. Eugen. 6: 13–25.
- Fooks H. A. (1941). A pale colour form of the panther.J. Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc. 42: 435.
- Gee E. P. (1948). Black panther cubs.J. Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc. 48: 173–175.
- Gray A. P. (1954). Mammalian hybrids. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux.
- Hsu T. C. & H. H. Rearden (1965). Further karyological studies onFelidae.Chromosoma 16: 365–371.
- Hsu T. C., H. H. Rearden & G. F. Luquette (1963). Karyological studies of nine species ofFelidac.Amer. Nat. 97: 225–234.
- Pocock R. I. (1929). Black panthers—an inquiry.J. Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc. 33: 693–694.
- Robinson R. (1959). Genetics of the domestic cat.Bibliogr. Genet. 19: 273–362.
- Robinson R. (1969). The white tigers of Rewa and gene homology in theFelidae.Genetica 40: 198–200.
- Tweedie M. W. F. & J. L. Harrison (1965). Malayan Animal life. London: Longmans.
- Ulner F. A. (1941). Melanism in theFelidae, with special reference to the genusLynx.J. Mammal. 22: 285–288.
- Van Ingen & Van Ingen (1941). Variation in colour of tigers and panthers.J. Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc. 42: 654–655.
- Inheritance of the black form of the leopardPanthera pardus
Volume 41, Issue 1 , pp 190-197
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Rov Robinson (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. St. Stephens Road Nursery, Ealing, W. 13, London, England