Therapeutic wilderness programs: Issues of professionalization in an emerging field
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
With the rapid increase in therapeutic wilderness programming, issues of professionalization have arisen. This article discusses the movement toward increased professionalization, with particular attention to staff qualifications for the provision of service, the distinction between therapeutic and therapy, and the ethics and consequences of therapeutic wilderness programs. It is concluded that increased credibility necessitates elevated standards for staff credentials and the provision of therapy within programs.
- American Journal of Insanity, 1906,63.
- Backus, R. (1947) Where the new camping tasks begin. The Nervous Child 6: pp. 130-134
- Bacon, S. (1988) Paradox and double binds in adventure based education. Eric Document #296832. Outward Bound, Greenwich, Conn, pp. 4-30
- Berman, D. (1990). Wilderness therapy: Conceptual and training issues.WEA Legend, Summer, 4–5.
- Caplan, R. Early forms of camping in American mental hospitals. In: Lowry, T. P. eds. (1974) Camping therapy: Its uses in psychiatry and rehabilitation. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill, pp. 8-12
- Standards for agency management and service delivery. Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children, New York
- COA (1992b). Draft of the proposed standards for adventure based experiential outdoor education. Unpublished manuscript.
- Dimock, H., Hendry, C. (1939) Camping and Character: A camp experiment in character education. Association Press, New York
- Ewert, A. (1983) Outdoor adventure and self-concept: A research analysis. Center for Leisure Studies, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
- Ewert, A. (1989) Outdoor adventure pursuits: Foundations, models, and theories. Publishing Horizons, Columbus, OH
- Horwood, B. (1989) Reflections on reflection. Journal of Experiential Education 12: pp. 7-8
- McGowan, M. (1992). The challenge of wilderness therapy.WEA Legend, Winter, 3.
- Morse, W. (1947) From the University of Michigan fresh air camp: Some problems of therapeutic camping. The Nervous Child 6: pp. 211-224
- Ohio Revised Code (1990). Sections 2317.02, 4743.02, 4745.01, 4757.01, 4757.17, 4757.99. Columbus, OH: Counselor and Social Worker Board.
- Patton, M. (1982) Practical evaluation. Sage Publications, Beverly Hills
- Perlman, J. (1947) Camps for maladjusted children. The Nervous Child 6: pp. 155-160
- Scheidlinger, S., Scheidlinger, L. (1947) From a camp of a child guidance clinic: The treatment potentialities of the summer camp for children with personality disturbances. The Nervous Child 6: pp. 232-242
- Stremba, B. Reflection: A process to learn about self through outdoor adventure.Journal of Experiential Education,12 (2), 7–9.
- Zander, A. (1947) The influence of the summer camp on personality development. The Nervous Child 6: pp. 161-165
- Therapeutic wilderness programs: Issues of professionalization in an emerging field
Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 127-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links