Existence and stability of large scale nonlinear oscillations in suspension bridges
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A nonlinear model of a suspension bridge is considered in which large-scale, stable oscillatory motions can be produced by constant loading and a small-scale, external oscillatory force. Loud's implicit-function theoretic method for determining existence and stability of periodic solutions or nonlinear differential equations is extended to a case of a non-differentiable nonlinearity.
- O. H. Amann, T. von Karman, and G. B. Woodruff,The failure of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, Federal Works Agency 1941.
- S. N. Chow and J. K. Hale,Methods of bifurcation theory, Springer-Verlag, New York 1982.
- A. C. Lazer and P. J. McKenna,Large scale oscillatory behaviour in loaded asymmetric systems, Ann. Inst. Henri Poincaré, Analyse non linéaire,4, 244–274 (1987).
- W. S. Loud,Periodic solutions of x″+cx′+g(x)=εf(t), Mem. Amer. Math. Soc.,31, 55 pp. 1959.
- S. Solimini,Some remarks on the number of solutions of some nonlinear elliptic equations, Ann. Inst. Henri Poincaré, Analyse non linéaire,2, 143–156 (1985).
- Existence and stability of large scale nonlinear oscillations in suspension bridges
Zeitschrift für angewandte Mathematik und Physik ZAMP
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 172-200
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dept. of Mathematics, University of Florida, 32611, Gainesville, Florida
- 2. Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Miami, 33124, Coral Gables, Florida
- 3. Dept. of Mathematics, University of Connecticut, 06268, Storrs, Connecticut, USA