Lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth in community settings: Personal challenges and mental health problems
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Studied 194 lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth aged 21 and younger who attended programs in 14 community centers to determine the personal challenges they face due to their sexual orientation and their responses to these stresses. First awareness of sexual orientation typically occurred at age 10, but disclosure to another person did not occur until about age 16. There was much variability in sexual behavior, and many youths reported both same-sex and opposite-sex sexual experiences. Although most had told at least one family member about their sexual orientation, there remained much concern about family reactions. Suicide attempts were acknowledged by 42% of the sample. Attempters significantly differed from nonattempters on several milestones of sexual orientation development, social aspects of sexual orientation, parents' knowledge of sexual orientation, and mental health problems.
- Bell, A. P., & Weinberg, M. S. (1978).Homosexualities: A study of diversity among men and women. New York: Simon and Shuster.
- Boulet, J., & Boss, M. W. (1991). Reliability and validity of the Brief Symptom Inventory.Psychological Assessment, 3, 433–437.
- Boxer, A. M., & Cohler, B. J. (1989). The life course of gay and lesbian youth: An immodest proposal for the study of lives.Journal of Homosexuality, 17, 315–355.
- Boxer, A. M., Cook, J. A., & Herdt, G. (1991). Double jeopardy: Identity transitions and parent-child relations among gay and lesbian youth. In K. Pillemer & K. McCartney (Eds.),Parent-child relations throughout life (pp. 59–92). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Broday, S. F., & Mason, J. L. (1991). Internal consistency of the Brief Symptom Inventory for counseling-center clients.Psychological Reports, 68, 94.
- D'Augelli, A. R. (1989). The development of a helping community for lesbians and gay men: A case study in community psychology.Journal of Community Psychology, 17, 18–29.
- D'Augelli, A. R. (1991). Gay men in college: Identity processes and adaptations.Journal of College Student Development, 32, 140–146.
- D'Augelli, A. R. (1992). Lesbian and gay male undergraduates' experiences of harassment and fear on campus.Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 7, 383–395.
- D'Augelli, A. R. (1993). Preventing mental health problems among lesbian and gay college students.Journal of Primary Prevention, 13(4), 1–17.
- Dean, L., Wu, S., & Martin, J. L. (1992). Trends in violence and discrimination against gay men in New York City: 1984 to 1990. In G. M. Herek & K. T. Berrill (Eds.),Hate crimes: Confronting violence against lesbians and gay men (pp. 46–64). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Derogatis, L. R., & Spencer, P. M. (1982).The Brief Symptom Inventory: Administration, scoring, and procedures manual. Towson, MD: Clinical Psychometric Research, Inc.
- Friedman, J. M., Asnis, G. M., Boeck, M., & DiFiore, J. (1987). Prevalence of specific suicidal behaviors in a high school sample.American Journal of Psychiatry, 144, 1203–1206.
- Garland, A. F., & Zigler, E. (1993). Adolescent suicide prevention: Current research and social policy implications.American Psychologist, 48, 169–182.
- Garnets, L. D., & D'Augelli, A. R. (in press). Empowering lesbian and gay communities: A call for collaboration with community psychology.American Journal of Community Psychology.
- Garnets, L., Herek, G. M., & Levy, B. (1990). Violence and victimization of lesbians and gay men: Mental health consequences.Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 5, 366–383.
- Garnets, L., & Kimmel, D. (1991). Lesbian and gay male dimensions in the psychological study of human diversity. In J. Goodchilds (Ed.),Psychological perspectives on human diversity in America (pp. 143–192). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Gerstel, C. J., Feraios, A. J. & Herdt, G. (1989). Widening circles: An ethnographic profile of a youth group.Journal of Homosexuality, 17, 75–92.
- Gibson, P. (1989). Gay male and lesbian youth suicide. In ADAMHA,Report of the Secretary's Task Force on Youth Suicide (Vol. 3, pp. 110–142). (DHHS Publication No. ADM 89-1623). Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Goldsmith, R. E. (1986). Dimensionality of the Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale.Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 1, 253–264.
- Gonsiorek, J. C. (1988). Mental health issues of gay and lesbian adolescents.Journal of Adolescent Health Care, 9, 114–122.
- Gonsiorek, J. C., & Rudolph J. R. (1991). Homosexual identity: Coming out and other developmental events. In J. C. Gonsiorek & J. D. Weinrich (Eds.),Homosexuality: Research implications for public policy (pp. 161–176). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Harry, J. (1986). Sampling gay men.Journal of Sex Research, 22, 21–34.
- Herdt, G. (1989). Gay and lesbian youth: Emergent identities and cultural scenes at home and abroad.Journal of Homosexuality, 17, 1–42.
- Hetrick. E. S., & Martin, A. D. (1987). Developmental issues and their resolution for gay and lesbian adolescents.Journal of Homosexuality, 14, 25–43.
- Hunter, J. (1990). Violence against lesbian and gay male youth.Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 5, 295–300.
- Hunter, J., & Schaecher, R. (1987). Stresses on lesbian and gay adolescents in schools.Social Work in Education, 9, 180–190.
- Malyon, A. K. (1981). The homosexual adolescent: Development issues and social bias.Child Welfare, 60, 321–330.
- Mapou, R. L., Ayres, J., & Cole, S. P. (1983). An analysis of problem areas and counseling experiences of gay white males.American Journal of Community Psychology, 11, 323–336.
- Martin, A. D., & Hetrick, E. S. (1988). The stigmatization of the gay and lesbian adolescent.Journal of Homosexuality, 15, 163–184.
- National Lesbian and Gay Health Foundation (1987).National Lesbian Health Care Survey: Mental health implications. Unpublished report submitted to the National Institute of Mental Health. Atlanta, GA: Author.
- O'Brien, E. J. (1985). Global self-esteem scales: Unidimensional or multidimensional?Psychological Reports, 57, 383–389.
- Plummer, K. (1989). Lesbian and gay youth in England.Journal of Homosexuality, 17, 195–223.
- Preston, J. (1991).The big gay book. New York: Plume.
- Remafedi, G. (1987a). Adolescent homosexuality: Psychosocial and medical implications.Pediatrics, 79, 331–337.
- Remafedi, G. (1987b). Male homosexuality: The adolescent's perspective.Pediatrics, 79, 326–330.
- Remafedi, G. (1987c). Homosexual youth: A challenge to contemporary society.Journal of the American Medical Association, 258, 222–225.
- Remafedi, G., Farrow, J. A., & Deisher, R. W. (1991). Risk factors for attempted suicide in gay and bisexual youth.Pediatrics, 87, 869–875.
- Roesler, T., & Deisher, R. (1972). Youthful male homosexuality.Journal of the American Medical Association, 219, 1018–1023.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965).Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Rosenberg, M. (1979).Conceiving the self. New York: Basic Books.
- Ross-Reynolds, G., & Hardy, B. S. (1985). Crisis counseling for disparate adolescent sexual dilemmas: Pregnancy and homosexuality.School Psychology Review, 14, 300–312.
- Savin-Williams, R. C. (1990).Gay and lesbian youth: Expressions of identity. New York: Hemisphere.
- Savin-Williams, R. C. (in press). Lesbian, gay male, and bisexual adolescents. In A. R. D'Augelli & C. J. Patterson (Eds.),Lesbian, gay, and bisexual identities across the lifespan. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Schneider, M. (1989). Sappho was a right-on adolescent: Growing up lesbian.Journal of Homosexuality, 17, 111–130.
- Schneider, M. (1991). Developing services for lesbian and gay adolescents.Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, 10, 133–151.
- Schneider, S. G., Farberow, N. L., & Kruks, G. N. (1989). Suicidal behavior in adolescent and young adult gay men.Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 19, 381–394.
- Slater, B. R. (1988). Essential issues in working with lesbian and gay male youths.Professional Psychology, 19, 226–235.
- Smith, K., & Crawford, S. (1986). Suicidal behavior among “normal” high school students.Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 16, 313–325.
- Strommen, E. F. (1989a). Hidden branches and growing pains: Homosexuality and the family tree.Marriage and Family Review, 14, 9–34.
- Strommen, E. F. (1989b). “You're a what?”: Family members' reactions to the disclosure of homosexuality.Journal of Homosexuality, 18, 37–58.
- Uribe, V., & Harbeck, K. M. (1991). Addressing the needs of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth: The origins of Project 10 and school-based intervention.Journal of Homosexuality, 22, 9–28.
- Lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth in community settings: Personal challenges and mental health problems
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 21, Issue 4 , pp 421-448
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual orientation
- lesbian, gay, bisexual, youth
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Human Development and Family Studies, The Pennsylvania State University, 110 Henderson Building South, 16802, University Park, Pennsylvania
- 2. Center for Developmental and Health Research Methodology, The Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA