Multilinear programming: Duality theories
- R. F. Drenick
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A type of nonlinear programming problem, called multilinear, whose objective function and constraints involve the variables through sums of products is treated. It is a rather straightforward generalization of the linear programming problem. This, and the fact that such problems have recently been encountered in several fields of application, suggested their study, with particular emphasis on the analogies between them and linear problems. This paper develops one such analogy, namely a duality concept which includes its linear counterpart as a special case and also retains essentially all of the desirable characteristics of linear duality theory. It is, however, found that a primal then has several duals. The duals are arrived at by way of a game which is closely associated with a multilinear programming problem, but which differs in some respects from those generally treated in game theory. Its generalizations may in fact be of interest in their own right.
- Hardy, G. H., Littlewood, J. E., andPolya, G.,Inequalities. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England, 1973.
- Pardalos, G. M., andRosen, J. E.,Constrained Global Optimization: Algorithms and Applications, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 1987.
- Duffin, R. J.,et al.,Geometric Programming, John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, 1967.
- Avriel, M.,Advances in Geometric Programming, Plenum Press, New York, New York, 1980.
- Beightler, C. S., andPhillips, D. T.,Applied Geometric Programming, John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, 1970.
- Drenick, R. F.,A Mathematical Organization Theory, Elsevier, New York, New York, 1986.
- Drenick, R. F., andKo, K. K.,Decentralized Control of Street Traffic, Control of Urban Traffic Systems, Edited by W. S. Levineet al., United Engineering Trustees, New York, New York, 1981.
- Drenick, P. E., andDrenick, R. F.,A Design Theory for Multi-Processing Computing Systems, Large Scale Systems, Vol. 12, pp. 155–172, 1987.
- Geoffrion, A. M.,Duality in Nonlinear Programming, SIAM Review, Vol. 13, pp. 1–37, 1977.
- Duffin, B. J., andPeterson, E. L.,The Proximity of (Algebraic) Geometric Programming to Linear Programming, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 3, pp. 250–253, 1972.
- Vorobev, N. N.,Game Theory, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 1977.
- Dantzig, G. B., Personal Communication to S. H. Lee, 1981.
- Multilinear programming: Duality theories
Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications
Volume 72, Issue 3 , pp 459-486
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Nonlinear programming
- game theory
- Industry Sectors
- R. F. Drenick (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, New York