Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Binomial filters are simple and efficient structures based on the binomial coefficients for implementing Gaussian filtering. They do not require multipliers and can therefore be implemented efficiently in programmable hardware. There are many possible variations of the basic binomial filter structure, and they provide a wide range of space-time trade-offs; a number of these designs have been captured in a parametrised form and their features are compared. This technique can be used for multi-dimensional filtering, provided that the filter is separable. The numerical performance of binomial filters, and their implementation using field-programmable devices for an image processing application, are also discussed.
- S.Y. Kung,VLSI Array Processors, Prentice Hall, 1988.
- W. Luk, “Systematic pipelining of processor arrays,” G.M. Megson (ed.),Transformational Approaches to Systolic Design, Chapman and Hall Parallel and Distributed Computing Series, 1994, pp. 77–98.
- Luk, W. (1993) Systematic eerialisation of array-based architectures. Integration 14: pp. 333-360
- H.K. Nishihara,Real-Time Implementation of a Sign-Correlation Algorithm for Image-Matching, Technical Report No. TR-90-02, Teleos Research, 1990.
- Wells, W.M. (1992) Efficient synthesis of Gaussian filters by cascaded uniform filters. IEEE Trans. PAMI 8: pp. 234-239
- J. Canny,Finding Edges and Lines in Images, M.Sc. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1983.
- D. David, T. Court, J.L. Jacquot, and A. Pirson, “INP 20: An image neighborhood processor for large kernels,”Proc. IAPR Workshop on Computer Vision: Special Hardware and Industrial Applications, University of Tokyo, pp. 241–244, 1988.
- A. Chehikian and J.L. Crowley, “Fast computation of optimal semi-octave pyramids,” 7th S.C.I.A., Aalborg, August 1991.
- R.N. Bracewell,The Fourier Transform and its Applications, McGraw-Hill, 1986.
- S. Guo, W. Luk, and P. Probert, “Developing parallel architectures for range and image sensors,”Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2205–2210, 1994.
- Xilinx Inc.,The Programmable Logic Data Book, 1994.
- S. Guo and W. Luk, “Compiling Ruby into FPGAs,” W. Luk and W.R. Moore (eds.),Field-Programmable Logic and Applications, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 975, Springer Verlag, pp. 188–197, 1995.
- G. Jones and M. Sheeran, “Circuit deign in Ruby,” J. Staunstrup (ed.),Formal Methods for VLSI Design, North-Holland, pp. 13–70, 1990.
- W. Luk and I. Page, “Parameterising designs for FPGAs,” W.R. Moore and W. Luk (eds.),FPGAs, Abingdon EE & CS Books, pp. 284–295, 1991.
- A. Lawrence, A. Kay, W. Luk, T. Nomura, and I. Page, “Using reconfigurable hardware to speed up product development and performance,” W. Luk and W.R. Moore (eds.),Field-Programmable Logic and Applications, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 975, Springer Verlag, pp. 111–118, 1995.
- Algotronix Ltd,CHS2x4 Custom Computer User Manual, 1992.
- W. Luk, T. Wu, and I. Page, “Hardware-software codesign of multidimensional algorithms,” D.A. Buell and K.L. Pocek (eds.),Proc. IEEE Workshop on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 82–90, 1994.
- W. Luk and T. Wu, “Towards a declarative framework for hardware-software codesign,”Proc. Third International Workshop on Hardware/Software Codesign, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 181–188, 1994.
- M.C. Mozer,Neural Network Architectures for Temporal Sequence Processing, Predicting the Future and Understanding the Past, Addison Wesley, 1993.
- H.K. Nishihara,System for Expedited Computation of Laplacian and Gaussian Filters and Correlation of Their Outputs for Image Processing, United States Patent 5119444, June 1992.
- Binomial filters
Journal of VLSI signal processing systems for signal, image and video technology
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 35-50
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors