On the Stackelberg strategy in nonzero-sum games
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The properties of the Stackelberg solution in static and dynamic nonzero-sum two-player games are investigated, and necessary and sufficient conditions for its existence are derived. Several game problems, such as games where one of the two players does not know the other's performance criterion or games with different speeds in computing the strategies, are best modeled and solved within this solution concept. In the case of dynamic games, linear-quadratic problems are formulated and solved in a Hilbert space setting. As a special case, nonzero-sum linear-quadratic differential games are treated in detail, and the open-loop Stackelberg solution is obtained in terms of Riccati-like matrix differential equations. The results are applied to a simple nonzero-sum pursuit-evasion problem.
- Nash, J. F.,Non-Cooperative Games, Annals of Mathematics, Vol. 54, No. 2, 1951.
- Starr, A. W., andHo, Y. C.,Nonzero-Sum Differential Games, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 3, No. 3, 1969.
- Starr, A. W., andHo, Y. C.,Further Properties of Nonzero-Sum Differential Games, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 3, No. 4, 1969.
- Von Stackelberg, H.,The Theory of the Market Economy, Oxford University, Press, Oxford, England, 1952.
- Cohen, K. J., andCyert, R. M.,Theory of the Firm: Resource Allocation in a Market Economy, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1965.
- Intrilligator, M. D.,Mathematical Optimization and Economic Theory, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1971.
- Chen, C. I., andCruz, J. B., Jr.,Stackelberg Solution for Two-Person Games with Biased Information Patterns, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. AC-17, No. 5, 1972.
- Starr, A. W.,Nonzero-Sum Differential Games: Concepts and Models, Harvard University, Division of Engineering and Applied Physics, TR No. 590, 1969.
- Lukes, D. L., andRussel, D. L.,A Global Theory for Linear Quadratic Differential Games, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 1, 1971.
- Lukes, D. L.,Equilibrium Feedback Control in Linear Games with Quadratic Costs, SIAM Journal on Control, Vol. 9, No. 2, May 1971.
- Vulikh, B. Z.,Introduction to Functional Analysis, Addison Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, Massachusetts, 1963.
- Ho, Y. C., Bryson, A. E., Jr., andBaron, S.,Differential Games and Optimal Pursuit-Evasion Strategies, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. AC-10, No. 4, 1965.
- Foley, M. H., andSchmitendorf, W. E.,On a Class of Nonzero-Sum Linear Quadratic Differential Games, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 5, 1971.
- Krikelis, N. J., andRekasius, Z. V.,On the Solution of the Optimal Linear Control Problems Under Conflict of Interest, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. AC-16, No. 2, 1971.
- Luce, R., andRaiffa, H.,Games and Decision, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1957.
- On the Stackelberg strategy in nonzero-sum games
Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications
Volume 11, Issue 5 , pp 533-555
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors