The improbability of prebiotic nucleic acid synthesis
- Robert Shapiro
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Many accounts of the origin of life assume that the spontaneous synthesis of a self-replicating nucleic acid could take place readily. Serious chemical obstacles exist, however, which make such an event extremely improbable.
Prebiotic syntheses of adenine from HCN, of D, L-ribose from adenosine, and of adenosine from adenine and D-ribose have in fact been demonstrated. However these procedures use pure starting materials, afford poor yields, and are run under conditions which are not compatible with one another.
Any nucleic acid components which are formed on the primitive earth would tend to hydrolyze by a number of pathways. Their polymerization would be inhibited by the presence of vast numbers of related substances which would react preferentially with them.
It appears likely that nucleic acids were not formed by prebiotic routes, but are later products of evolution.
- Mills, D.R., Peterson, R.L., Spiegelman, S. (1967) Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S. 58: pp. 217-224
- Eigen, M., Gardiner, W., Schuster, P., Winkler-Oswatitsch, R. (1981) Scientific American 244: pp. 88-118
- Kuppers, B. (1979) Naturwissenschaften 66: pp. 228-243
- Eigen, M., Schuster, P. (1978) Naturwissenschaften 65: pp. 341-369
- Cairns-Smith, A.G. (1982) Genetic Takeover and the Mineral Origins of Life. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge
- Miller, S.L., Orgel, L.E. (1974) The Origins of Life on the Earth. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Oro, J., Kimball, A.P. (1961) Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 94: pp. 217-227
- Schwartz, A.W., Joosten, H., Voet, A.B. (1982) Biosystems 15: pp. 191-193
- Gabel, N.W., Ponnamperuma, C. (1967) Nature 216: pp. 453-455
- Fuller, W.D., Sanchez, R.D., Orgel, L.E. (1972) J. Mol. Evol. 1: pp. 249-257
- Weiss, A.H., LaPierre, R.D., Shapira, J. (1970) J. Catalysis 16: pp. 332-347
- Reid, C., Orgel, L.E. (1967) Nature 216: pp. 455
- Shapiro, R. In: Seeberg, E., Kleppe, K. eds. (1981) Chromosome Damage and Repair. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 3-18
- Ferris, J.P., Joshi, P.C., Edelson, E.H., Lawless, J.G. (1978) J. Mol. Evol. 11: pp. 293-311
- Sanchez, R.A., Ferris, J.P., Orgel, L.E. (1967) J. Mol. Biol. 30: pp. 223-253
- The improbability of prebiotic nucleic acid synthesis
Origins of life
Volume 14, Issue 1-4 , pp 565-570
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Robert Shapiro (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dept. of Chemistry, New York University, 10003, New York, N.Y., USA