The evolution of the prebiotic atmosphere
- James F. Kasting
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
High CO2 levels are required to warm the primitive earth in the face of decreased solar luminosity. The atmosphere should have had an effective stratospheric cold trap, which would have limited the abiotic production rate of oxygen to relatively low values. Photostimulated oxidation of ferrous iron in the oceans should have been the dominant source of atmospheric H2. Rainout of H2O2 would have kept the atmospheric H2 content high and the O2 content low, even if other sources of H2 were small.
- Newman, M.J. and Rood, R.T. 1977, Science 198, pp. 1035–1037.
- Walker, J.C.G. 1982, Pageoph. 40, pp. 1–11.
- Hart, M.H. 1978, Icarus 33, pp. 23–39.
- Owen, T., Cess, R.D. and Ramanthan, V. 1979, Nature 277, pp. 640–642.
- Walker, J.C.G., Hays, P.B., and Kasting, J.F. 1981, J. Geophys. Res. 86, pp. 9776–9782.
- Kuhn, W.R. and Kasting, J.F. 1983, Nature 301, pp. 53–55.
- Lovelock, J.E. and Whitfield, M. 1982, Nature 296, pp. 561–563.
- Lovelock, J.E. and Watson, A.J. 1982, Planet. Space Sci. 30, pp. 795–802.
- Walker, J.C.G. 1983, Nature, 302, pp. 518–520.
- Kasting, J.F., Liu, S.C., and Donahue, T.M. 1979, J. Geophys. Res. 84, pp. 3097–3107.
- Kasting, J.F. and Walker, J.C.G. 1980, J. Geophys. Res. 86, pp. 1147–1158.
- Kasting, J.F. 1979, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan, 259 pp.
- Canuto, V.M., Levine, J.S., Augustsson, T.R., and Imhoff, C.L. 1982, Nature 296, pp. 816–820.
- Carver, J.H. 1981, Nature 292, pp. 136–138.
- Towe, K.M. 1981, Precambrian Res. 16, pp. 1–10.
- Braterman, P.S., Cairns-Smith, A.G., and Sloper, R.W. 1983, Nature 303, pp. 163–164.
- Kasting, J.F., Pollack, J.B., and Ackerman, T.P. 1983, Icarus, submitted.
- Kasting, J.F., Pollack, J.B., and Crisp. D. 1983, Manuscript in preparation.
- Manabe, S. and Wetherald, R.T. 1967, J. Atmos. Sci. 24, pp. 241–259.
- Lindzen, R.S., Hou, A.Y., and Farrell, B.F. 1982, J. Atmos. Sci. 39, pp. 1189–1205.
- Kasting, J.F. 1982, J. Geophys. Res. 87, pp. 3091–3098.
- Pinto, J.P., Gladstone, C.R., and Yung, Y.L. 1980, Science 210, pp. 183–185.
- Fishman, J. and Crutzen, P. 1977, J. Geophys. Res. 82, pp. 5897–5906.
- Gough, D.O. 1981, Solar Phys. 74, pp. 21–34.
- North, G.R. 1975, J. Atmos. Sci. 32, pp. 2033–2043.
- The evolution of the prebiotic atmosphere
Origins of life
Volume 14, Issue 1-4 , pp 75-82
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- James F. Kasting (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. NASA Ames Research Center, MS 245-3, Moffett Field, CA, 94035