Attachment to place: Discriminant validity, and impacts of disorder and diversity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Data described here were collected under grant 78-AX-IJ-0134 from the National Institute of Justice, Ralph B. Taylor, principal investigator. The grant was carried out while the first and second authors were at the Center for Metropolitan Planning and Research, Johns Hopkins University. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the authors.
- Campbell, D., & Fiske, D. (1959). Convergent and discriminant validation by the multitrait-multimethod matrix.Psychological Bulletin, 56, 81–105.
- Gans, H. (1968).People and plans. New York: Basic Books.
- Gerson, K., Stueve, S., & Fischer, C. (1977). Attachment to place. In C. Fischer et al. (Eds.),Networks and places: Social relations in the urban setting (pp. 139–161). New York: Free Press.
- Gordon, R. (1968). On the interpretation of oblique factors.American Sociological Review, 33, 601–620.
- Granovetter, M. (1973). The strength of weak ties.American Journal of Sociology, 78, 1360–1380.
- Hawkes, J. (1951).A land. London: Cresset Press.
- Hunter, A. (1974).Symbolic communities. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Kasarda, J. P., & Janowitz, M. (1974). Community attachment in mass society.American Sociological Review, 39, 328–339.
- Peachey, P. (1981).Households and the territorial dispersion of human activity systems. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, Toronto.
- Proshansky, H. M. (1978). The city and self-identity.Environment and Behavior, 10, 142–169.
- Riger, S., & Lavrakas, P. J. (1981). Community ties: Patterns of attachment and interaction in urban neighborhoods.American Journal of Community Psychology, 9, 55–66.
- Relph, E. (1976).Place and placelessness. London: Pion Limited.
- Rosenberg, M. (1972).Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Rosenberg, M. (1975). The dissonant context and the adolescent self-image. In S. E. Dragastin & G. H. Elder (Eds.),Adolescence in the life cycle. New York: Halsted.
- Shumaker, S. A., & Taylor, R. B. (1983). Toward a clarification of people-place relationships: A model of attachment to place. In N. R. Feimer & E. S. Geller (Eds.),Environmental psychology: Directions and perspectives (pp. 219–256). New York: Praeger.
- Stokols, D., & Shumaker, S. A. (1981). People in places: A transactional view of settings. In J. Harvey (Ed.),Cognition, social behavior, and the environment (pp. 441–488). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Sundstrom, E. (1977). The physical environment and social behavior. In L. Wrightsman (Ed.),Social psychology (pp. 409–431). Monterey: Brooks/Cole.
- Taylor, R. B. (1978). Human territoriality: A review and a moel or future research.Cornell Journal of Social Relations, 13, 125–151.
- Taylor, R. B. (1981). The neighborhood physical environment and stress. In G. W. Evans (Ed.),Environmental stress (pp. 286–324). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Taylor, R. B. (in press). Toward an environmental psychology of disorder. In D. Stokols & I. Altman (Eds.),Handbook of environmental psychology. New York: Wiley.
- Taylor, R. B., Gottfredson, S. D., & Brower, S. (1981). Territorial cognitions and social climate in urban neighborhoods.Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 2, 289–303.
- Taylor, R. B., Gottfredson, S. D., & Brower, S. (1984). Understanding block crime and fear.Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, 21, 303–331.
- Taylor, R. B., Gottfredson, S. D., Brower, S., Drain, W., & Dockett, F. (1980). Toward a resident-based model of community crime prevention: Urban territoriality, social networks, and design.JSAS Catalog of Selected Documents in Psychology, 10, pp. 29–30. (Ms. 2044)
- Unger, D., & Wandersman, A. (1983). Neighboring and its role in block organizations: An exploratory report.American Journal of Community Psychology, 11, 291–300.
- Wellman, B., & Leighton, B. (1979). Neighborhoods, networks, and communities: Approaches to the community question.Urban Affairs Quarterly, 14, 363–390.
- Wilson, J. O. (1975).Thinking about crime. New York: Basic.
- Attachment to place: Discriminant validity, and impacts of disorder and diversity
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 13, Issue 5 , pp 525-542
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links