Measurement of adolescents' life events: The junior high life experiences survey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The authors thank Stephanie Fooskas who assisted in the collection of the data and James H. Johnson who provided helpful comments on an earlier version of this paper.
- Barrera, M. (1981). Social support in the adjustment of pregnant adolescents. In B. Gottlieb (Ed.),Social networks and social support (pp. 69–96). Beverly Hills: Sage.
- Bedell, J., Giordani, B., Amour, J., Tavormina, J., & Boll, T. (1977). Life stress and the psychological and medical adjustment of chronically ill children.Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 21, 237–242.
- Blumberg, S., & Izard, C. (1983).Affective and cognitive characteristics of nondepressed and depressed ten year old children. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Blumberg, S., & Izard, C. (in press). Affective and cognitive characteristics of nondepressed and depressed ten year old children.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Coddington, R. (1972). The significance of life events as etiological factors in the diseases of children. I. A survey of professional workers.Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 16, 7–18.
- Cohen, J., & Cohen, P. (1975).Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Crandall, V., Crandall, V., & Katkovsky, W. (1965). A children's social desirability questionnaire.Journal of Consulting Psychology, 29, 27–36.
- Fontana, A., Hughes, L., Marcus, J., & Dowds, B. (1979). Subjective evaluation of life events.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 47, 906–911.
- Gersten, J., Langner, T., Eisenberg, J., & Orzeck, L. (1974). Child behavior and life events: Undesirable change or change per se? In B. S. Dohernwend & B. P. Dohrenwend (Eds.),Stressful life events (pp. 159–170). New York: Wiley.
- Gersten, J., Langner, T., Eisenberg, J., & Simcha-Fagan (1977). An evaluation of the etiologic role of stressful life-change events in psychological disorder.Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 18, 228–244.
- Heisel, J., Ream, S., Raitz, R., Rappaport, M., & Coddington, R. (1973). The significance of life events as contributing factors in the diseases of children.Behavioral Pediatrics, 83, 119–123.
- Holmes, R., & Rahe, R. (1967). The social readjustment rating scale.Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 11, 213–218.
- Hotaling, G., Atwell, S., & Linsky, A. (1978). Adolescent life changes and illness: A comparison of three models.Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 7, 393–403.
- Husaini, B., & Neff, J. (1980). Characteristics of life events and psychiatric impairment in rural communities.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 168, 159–166.
- Jacobs, T., & Charles, E. (1980). Life events and the occurrence of cancer in children.Psychosomatic Medicine, 42, 11–24.
- Johnson, J. (1982). Life events as stressors in childhood and adolescence. In B. Lahey & A. Kazdin (Eds.),Advances in clinical child psychology (pp. 219–253). New York: Plenum.
- Johnson, J., & McCutcheon, S. (1980). Assessing life stress in older children and adolescents: Preliminary findings with the Life Events Checklist. In I. Sarason & C. Spielberger (Eds.),Stress and anxiety (Vol. 7, pp. 111–125). Washington, DC: Hemisphere.
- Kale, W., & Stenmark, D. (1983). A comparison of four life event scales.American Journal of Community Psychology, 11, 441–458.
- Kovacs, M. (1980/1981). Rating scales to assess depression in school-age children.Acta Paedo-psychiatry, 46, 305–315.
- Kovacs, M., & Beck, A. (1977). An empirical-clinical approach toward a definition of childhood depression. In J. Schacterbrandt & A. Raskin (Eds.),Depression in childhood: Diagnosis, treatment, and conceptual models. New York: Raven Press.
- McFarlane, A., Norman, G., Streiner, D., Roy, R., & Scott, D. (1980). A longitudinal study of the influence of the psychosocial environment on health status: A preliminary report.Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 21, 124–133.
- Monaghen, J., Robinson, J., & Dodge, J. (1979). The children's life events inventory.Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 23, 63.
- Mueller, D., Edwards, D., & Yarvis, R. (1977). Stressful life events and psychiatric symptomatology: Change or undesirability.Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 18, 307–317.
- Nelson, D., & Cohen, L. (1983). Locus of control and control perceptions and the relationship between life stress and psychological disorder.American Journal of Community Psychology, 11, 705–722.
- Newcomb, M., Huba, G., & Bender, P. (1981). A multidimensional assessment of stressful life events among adolescents: Derivation and correlates.Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 22, 400–414.
- Ross, C., & Mirowsky, J. (1979). A comparison of life event weighting schemes: Change, undesirability, and effect-proportional indices.Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 20, 166–177.
- Sandler, I. (1980). Social support resources, stress, and maladjustment of poor children.American Journal of Community Psychology, 8, 41–52.
- Sandler, I., & Block, M. (1979). Life stress and maladaptation of children.American Journal of Community Psychology, 7, 425–440.
- Sandler, I., & Lakey, B. (1982). Locus of control as a stress moderator: The role of control perceptions and social support.American Journal of Community Psychology, 10, 65–78.
- Sarason, I., Johnson, J., & Siegel, J. (1978). Assessing the impact of life changes: Development of the Life Experiences Survey.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 46, 932–946.
- Spielberger, C. (1973).State-trait anxiety inventory for children: Preliminary manual. Palo Alto: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Vinokur, A., & Selzer, M. (1975). Desirable versus undesirable life events: Their relationship to stress and mental distress.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 32, 329–337.
- Zautra, A., & Reich, J. (1983). Life events and perceptions of life quality: Developments in a two factor approach.Journal of Community Psychology, 11, 121–132.
- Measurement of adolescents' life events: The junior high life experiences survey
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 69-85
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links