Leukocyte chemotaxis: A new in vivo testing technique
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new and sensitive technique is introduced for evaluating in vivo leukocyte chemotaxis. A small, disposable plastic chamber is used for holding the test solution, and an electric ink eraser for controlled abrasion of the skin test site. Another innovation is the use of capturing micropore membranes that, when placed between the test solution and the skin, collect cells for a permanent record. The small size of the chamber, the ease of application and immobilization, and the short time needed for cell collection permit experimentation with laboratory animals as well as with human volunteers. The accumulation of leukocytes in the chambers containing previously frozen or complement-activated autologous serum was 20 to 40-fold greater than in buffer controls after 3 h. Cell counts of approximately (1–2)×103 leukocytes per mm3 were obtained in 3 h when serum diluted 1∶1 with Hank's solution was applied to human or rabbit skin. Although predominantly polymorphonuclear leukocytes were detected in the chambers after just 3 h, prolonged incubations of 6–12 h found mononuclear cells also invading the chambers. These results clearly simulate the sequence of cellular emigration commonly observed in local inflammation.
- Boyden, S.V. 1962. The chemotactic effect of mixtures of antibody and antigen on polymorphonuclear leukocytes.J. Exp. Med. 115:453.
- Ward, P.A., C.G. Cochrane, andH.J. Müller-Eberhard. 1966. The role of serum complement in chemotaxis of leukocytesin vitro.J. Exp. Med. 122:327.
- Baum, J., A.G. Mowat, andJ.A. Kirk. 1971. A simplified method for the measurement of chemotaxis of polymorphonuclear leukocytes from human blood.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 77:501.
- Rebuck, J.W., andJ.H. Crowley. 1955. Techniques in the study of leukocyte function: A method of studying leukocyte functions in vivo. Part II.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 59:757.
- Gowland, E. 1964. Studies on the migration of polymorphonuclear leukocytes from skin lesions in man.J. Pathol. Bacterial. 87:347.
- Southam, C.M., andA.G. Levine. 1966. A quantitative Rebuck technique.Blood 27:734.
- Senn, H., J.F. Holland, andT. Bauerjee. 1969. Kinetic and comparative studies on localized leukocyte mobilization in normal man.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 74:742.
- Mass, M.F., P.B. Dean, W.L. Weston, andJ.R. Humbert. 1975. Leukocyte migrationin vivo: A new method of study.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 86:1032.
- Snyderman, R., H. Gewurz, andS.E. Mergenhagen. 1968. Interaction of the complement system with endotoxic lipopolysaccharide.J. Exp. Med. 128:259.
- Gallin, J.I., R.A. Clerk, andH.R. Kimball. 1973. Granulocyte chemotaxis: An improved in vitro assay employing51Cr-labeled granulocytes.J. Immunol. 110:233.
- Ketchel, M.D., C.B. Favour, andS.H. Sturgis. 1958. The in vitro action of hydrocortisone on leukocyte migration.J. Exp. Med. 107:211.
- Ward, P.A., andL.J. Newman. 1969. A neutrophil chemotactic factor from human C5.J. Immunol. 102:93.
- Müller-Eberhard, H.J. 1969. Complement.Ann. Rev. Biochem. 38:389.
- Phelps, P., andD. Stamblaw. 1969. PMN mobility in vitro. I. Effect of pH, temperature, ethyl alcohol, and caffeine, using a modified Boyden Chamber.Arthritis Rheum. 12:181.
- Pathak, M.A., L.R. Warden, andK.D. Kaufman. 1967. Effects of structural alterations on the photosensitizing potency of fusocoumarins and related compounds.J. Invest. Dermatol. 48:104.
- Wine, A.C., andR. Kellermeyer. 1976. A computer-based method for the quantitation of leukocyte chemotaxis.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 88:487.
- Leukocyte chemotaxis: A new in vivo testing technique
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 67-82
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors