Comorbidity of ADHD and reading disability among clinic-referred children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Of a consecutive series of 115 boys diagnosed in a university outpatient clinic as ADHD, 39% also demonstrated a specific reading disability. Pure ADHD patients were compared with mixed ADHD + RD and normal controls on a battery of cognitive and attentional measures. The aim was to determine whether a distinct pattern of deficits would distinguish the groups. Both ADHD subgroups performed significantly worse than controls on measures of sequential memory and attentional tasks involving impulse control andplanful organization. Only ADHD+RD boys differed from controls on measures or rapid word naming and vocabulary. The reuslts are discussed within the framework of an automatic versus effortful information-processing model.
- Ackerman, P. T., Anhalt, J. M., Dykman, R. A., & Holcomb, P. J. (1986). Effortful processing deficits in children with reading and/or attention disorders.Brain and Cognition, 5, 22–40.
- Ackerman, P. T., Anhalt, J. M., Holcomb, P. J., & Dykman, R. A. (1986). Presumably innate and acquired automatic processes in children with attention and/or reading disorders.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 27, 513–529.
- Ackerman, P. T., Dykman, R. A., Holcomb, P. J., & McCray, D. S. (1982). Methylphenidate effects on cognitive style and reaction time in four groups of children.Psychiatric Research, 7, 199–213.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.) Washington, DC: Author.
- August, G. J., & Garfinkel, B. D. (1989). Behavioral and cognitive subtypes of ADHD.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 739–748.
- Borcherding, B., Thompson, K., Kruesi, M., Bartko, J., Rapoport, J. L., & Weingartner, H. (1988). Automatic and effortful processing in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 16, 333–345.
- Bryan, T. H., & Bryan, J. H. (1978).Understanding learning disabilities (2nd ed.). Sherman Oaks, CA: Alfred.
- Cantwell, D. P., & Satterfield, J. H. (1978). The prevalence of academic underachievement in hyperactive children.Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 3, 161–171.
- Denckla, M. B., & Rudel, R. G. (1976). Naming of object drawings by dyslexic and other learning disabled children.Brain and Language, 3, 1–6.
- Dunn, L. M., & Dunn, L. M. (1981).Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test-Revised. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Dykman, R. A., Ackerman, P. T., Clements, S. D., & Peters, J. E. (1971). Specific learning disabilities: An attentional deficit syndrome. In H. R. Myklebust (Ed.),Progess in learning disabilities (Vol. 2, pp. 56–93). New York: Grune & Stratton.
- Felton, R. H., Wood, F. B., Brown, I. S., Campbell, S. K., & Harter, M. R. (1987). Separate verbal memory and naming deficits in attention deficit disorder and reading disability.Brain and Language, 31, 171–184.
- Frith, V. (1983). The similarities and differences in reading and spelling problems. In M. Rutter (Ed.),Developmental neuropsychiatry (pp. 453–472). New York: Guilford Press.
- Garfinkel, B. G., & Klee, S. H. (1983). A computerized assessment battery for attention deficits.Psychiatric Hospital, 14, 163–166.
- Golden, C. J. (1978).The Stroop Color and Word Test. Chicago: Stoelting.
- Goyette, C. H., Conners, C. K., & Ulrich, R. F. (1978). Normative data on Revised Conners Parent Teaching Rating Scales.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 6, 221–236.
- Halperin, J. M., Gittelman, R., Klein, D. F., & Rudel, R. G. (1984). Reading-disabled hyperactive children: A distinct group of attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 12, 1–14.
- Hammill, D. D. (1985).Detroit Tests of Learning Aptitutde-2. Austin, TX: Pro-Ed.
- Hasher, L., & Zacks, R. T. (1979). Automatic and effortful processes in memory.Journal of Experimental Psychology (General), 101, 356–388.
- Hinshaw, S. P. (1987). On the distinction between attention deficits/hyperactivity and conduct problems/aggression in child psychopathology.Psychological Bulletin, 101, 443–464.
- Homatidis, S., & Konstantareas, M. M. (1981). Assessment of hyperactivity: Isolating measures of high discriminant ability.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 4, 533–541.
- Jastak, S., & Wilkinson, G. S. (1984).The Wide Range Achievement Test-Revised. Wilmington: Jastak.
- Jorm, A. F., Share, D. L., Matthews, R., & MacClean, R. (1986). Behavior problems in specific reading retarded and general reading backward children: A longitudinal study.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 27, 33–44.
- Lambert, N. M., & Sandoval, J. (1980). The prevalence of learning disabilities in a sample of children considered hyperactive.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 8, 33–50.
- Levine, M. D., Busch, B., & Aufseeser, C. (1982). The dimension of inattention among children with school problems.Pediatrics, 70, 387–395.
- McGee, R., Williams, S., Moffitt, T., & Anderson, J. (1989). A comparison of 13-year-old boys with attention deficit and/or reading disorder on neuropsychological measures.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 17, 37–53.
- McMichael, P. (1979). The hen or the egg? Which comes first-Antisocial emotional disorders or reading disability?British Journal of Educational Psychology, 49, 226–238.
- Minskoff, J. G. (1973). Differential approaches to prevalence estimates of learning disabilities.Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 205, 139–145.
- Rutter, M., & Yule, W. (1970). Reading retardation and antisocial behavior — The nature of the association. In M. Rutter, J. Tizard, & K. Whitmore (Eds.),Education, health and behavior (pp. 240–255). London: Longmans.
- Shapiro, S. K., & Garfinkel, B. D. (1986). The occurrence of behavior disorders in children: The interdependence of attention deficit disorder and conduct disorder.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 25, 809–819.
- Silverman, L. J., & Metz, A. S. (1973). Number of pupils with specific learning disabilities in local public schools in the United States: Spring, 1970.Annals of the New York Academic of Sciences, 205, 146–157.
- Stott, D. H. (1981). Behavioral disturbance and failure to learn: A study of cause and effect.Educational Research, 23, 21–23.
- Torgeson, J. K. (1977). The role of non-specific factors in the task performance of learning disabled children: A theoretical assessment.Journal of Learning Disabilities, 10, 33–40.
- Varlaam, A. (1974). Educational attainment and behavior at school.Greater London Intelligence Quarterly, 29, 29–39.
- Wolf, M. (1984). Naming, reading and the dylexias: A longitudinal overview.Annals of Dyslexia, 34, 87–116.
- Wolford, G., & Fowler, C. A. (1984). Differential use of partial information by good and poor readers.Developmental Review, 4, 16–35.
- Comorbidity of ADHD and reading disability among clinic-referred children
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 29-45
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links