The pupil evaluation inventory
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Pupil Evaluation Inventory was developed to assess peer ratings of the behavior of male and female children in grades one through nine. Three homogeneous and stable factors emerged from a factor analysis: Aggression, Withdrawal and Likeability. High interrater agreement between male and female raters, stability of factorial structure, high internal consistency, and moderate concurrent validity were found across sex and grade levels. Test-retest reliability was high for a separate sample of third and sixth graders. There was a tendency for higher internal consistency and teacher-peer correlations for the Aggression factor.
- Bardon, J. I., & Bennett, V. D. Helping children in school. In B. B. Wolman (Ed.),Manual of child psychopathology, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1972.
- Bower, E. M. The school psychologist's role in their identification and adjustment of socioemotionally handicapped children. In J. I. Magary (Ed.),School psychological services in theory and practice: A handbook. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 1967.
- Bower, E. M.Early identification of emotionally handicapped children in school. Springfield, Illinois: Charles C Thomas, 1969.
- Burton, R. V. Validity of retrospective reports assessed by the multitrait-multimethod analyses.Developmental Psychology Monographs, 1970, (3, Pt. 2).
- Buss, A. H. Personal communication, 1967, cited in L. D. Eron, L. O. Walder, and M. M. Lefkowitz,Learning of aggression in children. Boston: Little, Brown& Co., 1971.
- Eron, L. D., Walder, L. O., & Lefkowitz, M. M.Learning of agression in children. Boston: Little, Brown & Co., 1971.
- Gorsuch, R. L.Factor analysis. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Co., 1974.
- Havighurst, R. J., DeHaan, R. F., Dietrich, W. J., Hackamack, H., Johnson, L.,& King, R. D. A communinity youth development program.Supplementary Education Monograph, 1952, No. 75.
- Himelstein, P., & Lubin, R. Attempted validation of the self-disclosure inventory by the peer nomination technique.Journal of Psychology, 1965,61, 13–16.
- Leibowitz, G. Comparison of self-report and behavioral techniques of assessing aggression.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 1968,32, 21–25.
- Lesser, G. S. The relationships between various forms of aggression and popularity among lower class children.Journal of Educational Psychology, 1959,50, 20–25.
- Minturn, M., & Lewis, M. Age differences in peer ratings of socially desirable and socially undesirable behavior.Psychology Reports, 1968,23, 783–791.
- Mitchell, J. V. The factor analysis of a “guess-who” questionnaire assigned to identify significant patterns in children.Journal of Personality, 1956,24, 376–386.
- Neale, J. M., & Weintraub, S. Children vulnerable to psychopathology: The Stony Brook high-risk project.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 1975,3, 95–113.
- Norman, W. T. Toward an adequate taxonomy of personality attributes: Replicated factor structure in peer nomination personality ratings.Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 1963,66, 574–583.
- Roff, M., & Sells, S. Juvenile delinquency in relation to peer acceptance-rejection and socioeconomic status.Psychology in the Schools, 1968,5, 3–18.
- Rolf, J. E. The academic and social competence of school children vulnerable to schizophrenia and other behavior pathologies.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 1972,80, 225–243.
- Sells, S. B., & Roff, M.Peer acceptance-rejection and personality development. Final report of a five year research program, including studies of the origins of acceptance-rejection, effects on early delinquency and drop-out, and developmental dynamics. U. S. Office of Education, January, 1967.
- Siegelman, M. Psychometric properties of the Winder and Wiggins peer nomination inventory.Journal of Psychology, 1966,64, 143–149.
- Smith, G. Usefulness of peer ratings of personality in educational research.Educational and Psychological Measurement, 1967,24, 967–984.
- Walder, L. O., Abelson, R., Eron, L. D., Banta, T. J., & Laulicht, J. H. Development of a peer-rating measure of aggression.Psychological Reports, 1961,9, 497–556 (monograph supplement 4–49).
- Wiggins, J. S., & Winder, C. L. The peer nomination inventory: An empirically derived sociometric measure of adjustment in preadolescent boys.Psychological Reports, 1961,9, 643–677.
- Winder, C. L., & Wiggins, J. S. Social reputation and behavior: A further validation of the Peer Nomination Inventory.Journal of Social Psychology, 1964,68, 681–684.
- The pupil evaluation inventory
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 83-97
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links