Induction of plasma exudation and inflammatory cell infiltration by leukotriene C4 and leukotriene B4 in mouse peritonitis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Leukotriene induction of the fluid and cellular phases of the inflammatory response in the mouse was evaluated. Intraperitoneal injection of leukotriene C4 (LTC4 250 ng) led to dye extravasation but not polymorphonuclear leukocyte (PMN) infiltration, whereas injection of leukotriene B4 (LTB4 250 ng), led to PMN infiltration but not dye extravasation. The injection of both leukotrienes did not result in synergy. LTC4 did not appear to induce significant release or formation of chemotactic mediators, but the dye extravasation induced by LTC4 was inhibited by the vasoactive amine antagonist cyproheptadine and not by the eicosanoid inhibitors phenidone or naproxen. The response was markedly inhibited by the cytokine and eicosanoid inhibitors SK&F 86002 and SK&F 104493. PMN infiltration induced by LTB4 was not inhibited by SK&F 86002 or phenidone but was abrogated by colchicine treatment. LTB4 in this model did not appear to cause release or formation of vasoactive mediators. These leukotrienes appeared to be independent, complementary, and sufficient to mount a complete inflammatory response in the mouse.
- Braquet, P., L. Toriqui, T. Y. Shen, andB. B. Vergraftig. 1987. Perspectives in platelet-activating factor research.Pharmacol. Rev. 39:97–145.
- Williams, T. J., andJ. Morley. 1973. Prostaglandins as potentiators of increased permeability in inflammation.Nature 246:215–217.
- Bray, M. A. 1986. Leukotrienes in inflammation.Agents Actions 19:87–99.
- Plaut, M., andL. M. LicHtenstein. 1978. Cellular and chemical basis of the allergic inflammatory response: Component parts and control mechanisms.In Allergy, Principles and Practice. E. Middleton, Jr., C. E. Reed, and E. F. Ellis, editors. C. V. Mosby Co., St. Louis. 119–125.
- Thureson-Klein, A., P. Hedqvist, A. Ohlen, J. Raud, andL. Lindbom. 1987. Leukotriene B4, platelet-activating factor and substance-P as mediators of acute inflammation.Pathol. Immunopathol. Res. 6:190–206.
- Le, J., andJ. Vilcek. 1987. Tumor necrosis factor and interelukin 1: Cytokines with multiple overlapping biological activities.Lab. Invest.,56:234–248.
- Konig, W., W. Schonfeld, M. Raulf, M. Knoller, J. Scheffer, andJ. Brom. 1990. The neutrophil and leukotrienes-role in health and disease.Eicosanoids 3:1–22.
- Vinegar, R., J. F. Truax, andJ. C. Selph. 1976. Quantitative studies of the pathway to acute carrageenan inflammation.Fed. Proc. 35:2447–2456.
- Walz, D. T., M. J. DiMartino, andA. Misher. 1971. Adjuvant-induced arthritis in rats. II. Drug effects on physiologic, biochemical and immunological parameters.J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 178:223–231.
- Regina, A. K., W. P. Charles, L. G. Gail, M. S. Robert, andF. S. William. 1985. Studies of leukotriene B4-specific binding and function in rat polymorphonuclear leukocytes: Absence of chemotactic response.J. Immunol. 134:3356–3363.
- Griswold, D. E., E. F. Webb, M. A. Clark, andS. Mong. 1986. Phlogistic activity of leukotriene D4 in the mouse.Inflammation 10:1–7.
- Young, J. M., D. A. Spires, C. J. Bedford, B. Wagner, S. J. Ballaron, andC. M. DeYoung. 1984. The mouse ear inflammatory response to topical arachidonic acid.J. Invest. Dermatol. 82:367–371.
- Carlson, R. P., L. O'Neill-Davis, J. Chang, andA. J. Lewis. 1986. Modulation of mouse ear edema by cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase inhibitors and other pharmacologic agents.Agents Actions 17:197–204.
- Griswold, D. E., E. F. Webb, L. Schwartz, andN. Hanna. 1987. Arachidonic acid-induced inflammation: Inhibition by dual inhibitor of arachidonic acid metabolism, SK&F 86002.Inflammation 11:189–199.
- Camp, R. D. R., A. A. Coutts, M. W. Greaves, A. B. Kay, andM. J. Walport. 1983. Responses of human skin to intradermal injection of leukotriene C4, D4, and B4.Br. J. Pharmacol. 80:497–502.
- Thieroff, R., W. Frolich, andR. Ekerdt. 1988. Chemotactic activity of LTB4 in the skin of different laboratory animals in vivo.J. Invest. Dermatol. 90:254.
- Sayers, T. J., T. A. Wiltrout, C. A. Bull, A. C. Denn III, A. M. Pilano, andB. Lokesh. 1988. Effects of cytokines in polymorphonuclear neutrophil infiltration in the mouse.J. Immunol. 141:1670–1677.
- Griswold, D. E., S. Hoffstein, P. J. Marshall, E. F., Webb, L. Hillegass, P. E. Bender, andN. Hanna. 1989. Inhibition of inflammatory cell infiltration by bicyclic imidazoles, SK&F 86002 and SK&F 104493.Inflammation 13:727–739.
- Lee, J. C., B. Votta, B. J. Dalton, D. E. Griswold, P. E. Bender, andN. Hanna. 1990. Inhibition of human monocyte IL-1 production by SK&F 86002.Intl. J. Immunother. 6:1–12.
- Suarez, C. R., W. C. Pickett, D. H. Bell, D. K. McClintock, A. L. Oronsky, andS. S. Kerwar. 1987. Effect of low dose methotrexate on neutrophil chemotaxis induced by leukotriene B4 and complement C5a.J. Rheumatol. 14:9–11.
- Induction of plasma exudation and inflammatory cell infiltration by leukotriene C4 and leukotriene B4 in mouse peritonitis
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 251-258
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors