Endotoxin-mediated bovine alveolar macrophage procoagulant induction is dependent on protein kinase C activation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The induction of pulmonary alveolar macrophage (PAM) tissue factor-dependent procoagulant activity is central to the deposition of inflammatory fibrin in the pulmonary alveolus. The presence of enhanced tissue factor activity is often associated with pulmonary fibrin deposition, an important pathogenetic event that can delay resolution of pulmonary inflammation and promote the induction of pulmonary fibrosis. Since tissue factor synthesis induction and activation pathways are potential therapeutic targets for modulation of alveolar macrophage tissue factor (procoagulant) activity, we examined the pathways through which endotoxin lipopolysaccharide (LPS) induces bovine PAM tissue factor-dependent procoagulant activity. PAM procoagulant activity was markedly enhanced to 10 times the levels of freshly isolated PAM after 8 h of culture in the presence of either the protein kinase C (PKC) agonist phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate (PMA) or LPS. Both LPS-(P < 0.002) and PMA-induced activity (P < 0.007) was completely ablated by the PKC inhibitor 1-(5-isoquinolinesulfonyl)-2-methylpiperazine (H 7,100μM but was unaffected by the cyclic nucleotide-dependent protein kinase inhibitorN-(2-guanidinoethyl)-5-isoquinolinesulfonamide (HA-1004, 100μM). The arachidonate cyclooxygenase pathway inhibitor phenylbutazone (10−4 M) had modest effects that were not statistically significant. The unstimulated increase of procoagulant activity in 8-h cultures was unaffected by the same inhibitory modulations. These results indicate that PKC-dependent signal transduction pathways are involved in the stimulation of PAM procoagulant activity and that inhibition of this protein kinase prevents LPS-induction of new activity. The results also suggest that the transduction pathways leading to either PMA- or LPS-induced procoagulant activity are similar to the extent that both appear to require an intact PKC system.
- Ryan, J., andC. L. Geczy. 1987. Coagulation and the expression of cell-mediated immunity.Immunol. Cell Biol. 65:127–139.
- Chapman, H. A., Jr.,M. Stahl, C. L. Allen, R. Yee, andD. S. Fair. 1988. Regulation of the procoagulant activity within the bronchoalveolar compartment of normal human lung.Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 137:1417–1425.
- Geczy, C. L., andR. A. Meyer. 1982. Leukocyte procoagulant activity in man: An in vitro correlate of delayed-type hypersensitivity.J. Immunol. 128:331–336.
- Brentjens, R. J. 1987. Glomerular procoagulant activity and glomeralonephritis.Lab. Invest. 57:107–111.
- Burkhardt, A., andH. Cottier. 1989. Cellular events in alveolitis and the evolution of pulmonary fibrosis.Virchows Arch. B. Cell Pathol. 58:1–13.
- Idell, S., K. Gonzalez, H. Bradford, C. K. MacArthur, A. M. Fein, R. J. Maunder, J. G. N. Garcia, D. E. Griffith, J. Weiland, T. R. Martin, J. McLarty, D. S. Fair, P. N. Walsh, andR. W. Colman. 1987. Procoagulant activity in bronchoalveolar lavage in the adult respiratory distress syndrome.Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 136:1466–1474.
- Chapman, H. A., Jr.,D. S. Fair, C. L. Allen, andO. L. Stone. 1985. Human alveolar macrophages synthesize factor VII. Possible role in interstitial lung disease.J. Clin. Invest. 75:2030–2037.
- Grünig, G., M. Hermann, C. Winder, andR. Von Fellenberg. 1988. Procoagulant activity in respiratory tract secretions from horses with chronic pulmonary disease.Am. J. Vet. Res. 49:705–709.
- Idell, S., K. K. Gonzalez, C. K. MacArthur, C. Gillies, P. N. Walsh, P. McLarty, andR. S. Thrall. 1987. Bronchoalveolar lavage procoagulant activity in bleomycin-induced lung injury in marmosets. Characterization and relationship to fibrin deposition and fibrosis.Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 136:124–133.
- Sitrin, R. G., P. G. Brubaker, andJ. C. Fantone. 1987. Tissue fibrin deposition during acute lung injury in rabbits and its relationship to local expression of procoagulant and fibrinolytic activities.Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 135:930–936.
- Rothberger, H., M. P. McGee, andT. L. Lee. 1984. Tissue factor activity: A marker of alveolar macrophage maturation in rabbits. Effects of granulomatous pneumonitis.J. Clin. Invest. 73:1524–1531.
- Idell, S., B. T. Peterson, K. K. Gonzalez, L. D. Gray, R. Bach, J. McLarty, andD. S. Fair. 1988. Local abnormalities of coagulation and fibrinolysis and alveolar fibrin deposition in sheep with oleic acid-induced lung injury.Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 138:1282–1294.
- Idell, S., J. Peters, K. K. Jacobs, D. S. Fair, andJ. J. Coalson. 1989. Local abnormalities of coagulation and fibrinolytic pathways that promote alveolar fibrin deposition in the lungs of baboons with diffuse alveolar damage.J. Clin. Invest. 84:181–183.
- Tipping, P. G., D. A. Campbell, N. W. Boyce, andS. R. Holdsworth. 1988. Alveolar macrophage procoagulant activity is increased in acute hyperoxic lung injury.Am. J. Pathol. 131:206–212.
- Spencer, H. 1975. Pathogenesis of interstitial fibrosis of the lungs.Progr. Respir. Res. 8:34–44.
- Slauson, D. O. 1982. The mediation of pulmonary inflammatory injury.Adv. Vet. Sci. Compar. Med. 26:99–153.
- Basset, F., V. J. Ferrans, P. Soler, T. Takemura, Y. Fukuda, andR. G. Crystal. 1986. Intraluminal fibrosis in interstitial lung disorders.Am. J. Pathol. 122:443–461.
- Dungworth, D. L. 1985. The respiratory system.In Pathology of the Domestic Animals.K. V. F. Jubb, P. C. Kennedy, andN. Palmer, editors. Academic Press, New York. 414–541.
- Schiefer, B., G. E. Ward, andR. E. Moffatt. 1978. Correlation of microbiological and histopathological findings in bovine fibrinous pneumonia.Vet. Pathol. 15:313–321.
- Hidaka, H., M. Inagaki, S. Kawamoto, andY. Sasaki. 1984. Isoquinolinesulfonamides, novel and potent inhibitors of cyclic nucleotide dependent protein kinase and protein kinase C.Biochemistry 23:5036–5041.
- Lay, J. C., D. O. Slauson, andW. L. Castleman. 1986. Volume-controlled bronchopulmonary lavage of normal and pneumonic calves.Vet. Pathol. 23:673–680.
- Slauson, D. O., J.C. Lay, W. L. Castleman, andN. R. Neilsen. 1987. Alveolar macrophage phagocytic kinetics following pulmonary parainfluenza virus-3 infection.J. Leukocyte Biol. 41:412–420.
- Slauson, D. O., J. C. Lay, W. L. Castleman, andN. R. Neilsen. 1989. Influence of acute pulmonary interstitial inflammation on alveolar macrophage phagocytic kinetics.Inflammation 13:429–441.
- Castleman, W. L., J. C. Lay, E. J. Dubovi, andD. O. Slauson. 1985. Experimental bovine respiratory syncytial virus infection in conventional calves: Light microscopic lesions, microbiology, and studies on lavaged lung cells.Am. J. Vet. Res. 46:547–553.
- Doré, M., D. O.Slauson, and N. R.Neilsen. 1990. Decreased respiratory burst activity in neonatal bovine neutrophils stimulated by protein kinase C agonists.Am. J. Vet. Res. (in press).
- Clifford, C. B., D. O. Slauson, N. R. Neilsen, R. D. Zwahlen, andD. H. Schlafer. 1989. Ontogeny of inflammatory cell responsiveness: superoxide anion generation by phorbol ester-stimulated fetal, neonatal and adult bovine neutrophils.Inflammation 13:221–231.
- Geczy, C. L., E. Farram, D. K. Moon, P. A. Meyer, andI. F. C. McKenzie. 1983. Macrophage procoagulant activity as a measure of cell-mediated immunity in the mouse.J. Immunol. 130:2743–2749.
- Car, B. D., D. O. Slauson, M. M. Suyemoto, andN. R. Neilsen. 1988. Kinetics and regulation of bovine alveolar macrophage procoagulant activity.J. Leukocyte Biol. 44:299 (abstract).
- Rivers, R. P. A., W. E. Hathaway, andW. L. Weston. 1975. The endotoxin-induced coagulant activity of human monocytes.Br. J. Haematol. 30:333–340.
- Kornberg, A., A. Treves, R. A. Rachmilewitz, andE. Finbach. 1988. Generation of procoagulant activity (PCA) by phorbol ester-induced macrophages derived from a leukemic promyelocytic cell line (HL-60).Blood 82:1061–1066.
- Lyberg, T. 1984. Intracellular signal mechanisms in induction of thromboplastin synthesis.Haemostasis 14:393–399.
- Zuckerman, S. H., andY. M. Surprenant. 1988. Augmentation of procoagulant activity in monokine stimulated human endothelial cells by calmodulin/protein kinase C inhibitors.Thromb. Res. 49:205–214.
- McGee, M. P., R. Devlin, R. Saluta, andH. Koren. 1990. Tissue factor and factor VII messenger RNAs in human alveolar macrophages: Effects of breathing ozone.Blood 75:122–127.
- Drake, T. A., J. H. Morrissey, andT. S. Edgington. 1989. Selective cellular expression of tissue factor in human tissues.Am. J. Pathol. 134:1087–1097.
- Crutchley, D. J. 1984. Effects of inhibitors of arachidonic acid metabolism on thromboplastin activity in human monocytes.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 119:179–184.
- Kikkawa, U., andY. Nishizuka. 1986. The role of protein kinase C in transmembrane signalling.Annu. Rev. Cell Biol. 2:149–178.
- Endotoxin-mediated bovine alveolar macrophage procoagulant induction is dependent on protein kinase C activation
Volume 14, Issue 6 , pp 681-689
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors