Facial expressions and interpretation of emotion-arousing situations in deaf and hearing children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Deaf and hearing children were given two tasks: (a) sorting faces portraying nine emotions and (b) matching those faces with drawings of appropriate emotion-arousing situations. The deaf children performed as the hearing children did on the first task but did not match the faces to the situations as well as the hearing children. It appeared that the deaf children were unable to analyze and interpret emotion-arousing events adequately. Possible reasons for this finding are presented and discussed in detail.
- Altshuler, K. Z. Sexual patterns and family relationships. In J. Rainer, K. Altshuler & F. Kalimann (Eds.),Family and mental health problems in a deaf population. New York: Columbia University Press, 1963.
- Altshuler, K. Z. Personality traits and depressive symptoms in the deaf. In J. Wortis (Ed.),Recent advances in biological psychiatry. Vol. 6. New York: Plenum Press, 1964.
- Altshuler, K. Z. Theoretical considerations in development and psychopathology of the deaf. In J. Rainer & K. Altshuler (Eds.),Psychiatry and the deaf. (U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare) Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1967.
- Baroff, G. S. Rorschach data and clinical observations. In J. Rainer, K. Altshuler, & F. Kallmann (Eds.),Family and mental health problems in a deaf population. New York: Columbia University Press, 1963.
- Bateson, G., Jackson, D., Haley, J., & Weakland, J. Toward a theory of schizophrenia.Behavioral Science, 1956,1, 251–264.
- Blanton, R. L., & Nunnally, J. C. Evaluational language processes in the deaf.Psychological Reports, 1964,15, 891–894.
- Blanton, R. L., & Nunnally, J. C. Semantic habits and cognitive style processes in the deaf.Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 1964,68, 397–402.
- English, H. B., & English, A. C.A comprehensive dictionary of psychological and psychoanalytical terms. New York: Longmans, Green, 1958.
- Izard, C. F.The face of emotion. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1971.
- Levine, E. S.Youth in a soundless world. New York: New York University Press, 1956.
- Levine, E. S.The psychology of deafness. New York: Columbia University Press, 1960.
- Odom, R., & Lemond, C. M. Developmental differences in the perception and production of facial expression.Child Development, 1972,43, 359–369.
- Facial expressions and interpretation of emotion-arousing situations in deaf and hearing children
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 139-151
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links