Effects of dietary fish oil supplementation on polymorphonuclear leukocyte inflammatory potential
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNLs) are an important contributor to inflammation and are thus a part of the pathophysiology of many human diseases. We assessed the effect of fish oil on PMNL inflammatory potential by measuring chemiluminescence and Superoxide production before and after six weeks of daily cod liver oil ingestion by healthy volunteers. Phagocytosing PMNLs demonstrated a 27% decrease in chemiluminescence (P < 0.05) and a 64% decrease in Superoxide production (P < 0.01), following the cod liver oil supplementation. Analysis of PMNL and platelet fatty acids revealed the appearance of eicosapentaenoic acid and a significant decrease in arachidonic acid in both types of cells.
- Howe, G. B., J. N. Fordham, K. A. Brown, H. L. F. Currey. 1982. Polymorphonuclear cell function in rheumatoid arthritis and Felty's syndrome.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 40:370–375.
- Ginsberg, M., andF. Kozin. 1978. Mechanisms of cellular interaction with monosodium urate crystals.Arthritis Rheum. 21:896–903.
- Greaves, M. W. 1983. Neutrophil polymorphonuclears, mediators and the pathogenesis of psoriasis.Br. J. Dermatol. 109:115–118.
- Lee, T. H., R. L. Hoover, J. D. Williams, et al. 1985. Effect of dietary enrichment with eicosapentaenoic and docasahexaenoic acids on in vitro neutrophil and monocyte leukotriene generation and neutrophil function.N. Engl. J. Med. 312:1217–1224.
- Levine, P. H., R. S. Weinger, I. Simon, K. L. Scoon andN. I. Krinsky. 1976. Leukocyte-platelet interaction, release of hydrogen peroxide by granulocytes as a modulator of platelet reaction.J. Clin. Invest. 55:955.
- Levine, P. H., J. C. Hardin, K. L. Scoon, andN. I. Krinsky. 1981. Effect of corticosteroids in the production of Superoxide and hydrogen peroxide and the appearance of chemiluminescence by phagocytosing polymorphonuclear leukocytes.Inflammation 5:19–27.
- Fisher, M., P. H. Levine, B. Weiner, et al. 1986. The effects of vegetarian diets on plasma lipids and platelets.Arch. Intern. Med. 146:1193–97.
- Krinsky, N. I., K. L. Scoon, J. C. Hardin, andP. H. Levine. 1977. Source of hydrogen peroxide and chemiluminescence observed in activated human platelets.Blood 50:597–602.
- Curnutte, J. T., andB. M. Babior. 1974. Biological defense mechanisms. The effect of bacteria and serum on Superoxide production of granulocytes.J. Clin. Invest. 53:1662–1674.
- VanGelder, B. F., andE. C. Slater. 1962. The extinction coefficient of cytochromec. Biochim. Biophys. Acta.58:593.
- Babior, B. M. 1978. Oxygen dependent microbial killing by phagocytes.N. Engl. J. Med. 298:659–669.
- Klebanoff, S. J. 1980. Oxygen metabolism and toxic properties of phagocytes.Ann. Intern. Med. 13:480–489.
- Trush, M. A., M. E. Wilson, andK. VanDyke. 1978. The generation of chemiluminescence by phagocytic cells.Methods Enzymol. 57:642–645.
- Trang, L. E. 1980. Prostaglandins and inflammation.Semin. Arthritis Rheum. 9:153–159.
- Ford-Hutchinson, A. W. 1985. Leukotrienes: Their formation and role as inflammatory mediators.Fed. Proc. 44:25–29.
- Kelley, V. I., A. Gerretti, S. Izui, andT. B. Strom. 1985. A fish oil diet rich in eicosapentaenoic acid reduces cylcooxygenase metabolites, and suppresses lupus in MRLI-1 pr mice.J. Immunol. 123:1914–1919.
- Goldman, D. W., W. C. Prickett, andE. J. Goetzl. 1983. Human neutrophil chemotactic and degranulating activities of leukotriene B5 (LTB5) derived from eicosapentaenoic acid.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 117:282–288.
- Terano, T., J. A. Salmon, andS. Moncada. 1984. Biosynthesis and biologic activity of leukotriene B5.Prostaglandins 27:217–232.
- Blackwell, G. J., andR. J. Flower. 1983. Inhibition of phospholipase.Br. Med. Bull. 39:260–284.
- Krenner, J. M., A. V. Michalek, L. Linniger, et al. 1985. Effects of manipulation of dietary fatty acids on clinical manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis.Lancet 1:184–187.
- Klickstein, L. B., C. Shapleigh, andE. J. Goetzl. 1980. Lipoxygenation of arachidonic acid as a source of polymorphonuclear leukocyte chemotactic factors in synovial fluid and tissue in rheumatoid arthritis and spondyloarthritis.J. Clin. Invest. 65:1165–1170.
- Nwia, Y., T. Sakane, M. Shingo, andM. M. Yokoyama. 1983. Effect of stimulated neutrophils from synovial fluid of patients with rheumatoid arthritis on lymphocytes—a possible role of increased oxygen radicals generated by neutrophils.J. Clin. Immunol. 3:228–240.
- Rae, S. A., E. M. Davidson, andM. J. H. Smith. 1982. Leukotriene B4, an inflammatory mediator in gout.Lancet 2:1122–1123.
- Sharon, P., W. F. Stenson. 1983. Production of leukotriene by colonic mucosa from patients with inflammatory bowel disease.Gastroenterology 84:1306.
- Bradlow, B. A., N. Chetty, J. Van Der Westhuyzen, D. Mendelson, andJ. E. Gibson. 1983. The effect of a mixed fish diet on platelet function, fatty acids and serum lipids.Thromb. Res. 20:561–568.
- Hay, C. R. M., A. P. Durber, andR. Saynor. 1982. Effect of fish oil on platelet kinetics in patients with ischemic heart disease.Lancet 1:1269–1272.
- Effects of dietary fish oil supplementation on polymorphonuclear leukocyte inflammatory potential
Volume 10, Issue 4 , pp 387-392
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Medicine and Neurology, Worcester Memorial Hospital, USA
- 2. Blood Research Laboratory, Worcester Memorial Hospital, USA
- 3. Departments of Medicine and Neurology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, USA