Characterization of serum-independent polymorphonuclear leukocyte chemotactic factors produced byPropionibacterium acnes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The size and production of polymorphonuclear leukocyte (PMN) chemotactic factors byPropionibacterium acnes has been studied. All eight strains ofP. acnes which were tested liberated PMN chemotactic factors in their growth culture media. The factor(s) produced by one strain, 6919, were studied in greater depth. The PMN response was proportional to the dose of culture supernatant and chemotactic activity increased with the duration ofP. acnes culture. The neutrophil migration towards culture supernatants was chemotactic, with a slight stimulation of random migration by 72-h supernatants. The size of the chemotactic molecules was studied through dialysis, ultrafiltration, and Sephadex G-25 chromatography of 72-h supernatants. Low-molecular-weight chemotactic factors were found to be predominant by each method of size determination.
- Webster, G. F., C.-C. Tsai, andJ. J. Leyden, 1979. Neutrophil lysosomal release in response toPropionibacterium acnes.J. Invest. Dermatol. 72:209.
- Massey, A., J. F. Mowbray, andW. C. Noble, 1978. Complement activation byCorynebacterium acnes.Br. J. Dermatol 98:583–584.
- Webster, G. F., J. J. Leyden, M. E. Norman, andU. R. Nilsson. 1978. Complement activation in acne vulgaris, in vitro studies withPropionibacterium acnes andPropionibacterium granulosum.Infect. Immun. 22:523–529.
- Webster, G. F., J. J. Leyden, andU. R. Nilsson. 1979. Complement activation in acne vulgaris; comsumption of complement by comedones.Infect. Immun. 26:183–186.
- Gould, D. J., W. J. Cunliffe, andK. T. Holland. 1977. Chemotaxis and acne.J. Invest. Dermatol. 68:251.
- Lee, W. L., K. Sunthralioam, S. M. Fikrig, andA. R. Shalita. 1977. Neutrophil chemotaxis byP. acnes.Clin. Res. 25:283A.
- Tucker, S. B., R. S. Rodgers III, R. K. Winklemann, andR. E. Jordan. 1977. Inflammation in acne vulgaris. Mechanisms.J. Invest. Dermatol. 68:237.
- Lee, W. L., andA. R. Shalita. 1978. Neutrophil chemotaxis byP. acnes and its inhibition by antibiotics.J. Invest. Dermatol. 70:219.
- Puhvel, S. M. andM. Sakamoto. 1978. The chemoattractant properties of comedonal components.J. Invest. Dermatol. 71:324–329.
- Worthington Biochemical Corporation. 1972. Worthington Enzyme Manual, pp. 7–10. Freehold, New Jersey.
- Wilkinson, P. C. G. J. O'neill, andK. G. Wapshaw. 1973. Role of anaerobic coryneforms in specific and non-specific immunological reactions, 11: Production of a chemotactic factor specific for macrophages. Immunology.24:997–1009.
- Schiffman, E., H. V. Showell, B. A. Corcoran, P. A. Ward, E. Smith, andE. L. Becker. 1975. The isolation and partial characterization of neutrophil chemotactic factors fromEscherichia coli.J. Immunol. 114:1831–1841.
- Ward, P. A., I. H. Lepow, andL. J. Newman. 1968. Bacterial factors chemotactic for polymorphonuclear leukocytes.Am. J. Pathol. 52:725–736.
- Yoshida, T., S. Cohen, P. E. Bigazzi, T. Kurasuji, andA. Amsden. 1975. Inflammatory mediators in culture filtrates ofEscherichia coli.Am. J. Pathol. 81:389–400.
- Puhvel, S. M., I. K. Huffman, R. M. Reisner, andT. H. Sternberg. 1967. Dermal hypersensitivity of patients with acne vulgaris toCorynebacterium acnes.J. Invest. Dermatol. 49:154–158.
- Characterization of serum-independent polymorphonuclear leukocyte chemotactic factors produced byPropionibacterium acnes
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 261-269
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 19104, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 2. Department of Dermatology, Duhring Laboratories, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 19104, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania