Some catalytic properties of molybdenum trioxide and dioxide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
MoO3, obtained by decomposition of ammonium molybdate in a stream of nitrogen at 500°, is a catalyst for the dehydration of alcohols. The activation energy for isopropyl alcohol is 13.9 kcal/mole.
MoO2, obtained by reduction of MoO3 with molecular hydrogen at 500°, is a catalyst for the dehydrogenation of alcohols. The activation energy for isopropyl alcohol equals 12.5 kcal/mole.
MoO2 chemisorbs nitrogen at 500° and is thus completely deactivated as regards dehydrogenation of alcohol. Treatment of the inactive catalyst with hydrogen at 500° partially restores the activity of the catalyst as a result of desorption of the nitrogen as ammonia.
At temperatures of 400–500°, MoO3 and MoO2 produce dehydrogenation of cyclohexane to a slight extent.
- S. Berkman, D. Morrell, and G. Eglof, Catalysis in Inorganic and Organic Chemistry [in Russian], (Moscow, 1949).
- A. F. Plate, Catalytic Aromatization of Paraffin Hydrocarbons [in Russian] (Moscow-Leningrad, 1948).
- Herington, E. F., Rideal, E. K. (1945) Proc. Roy. Soc. A184: pp. 434
- Russel, A. S., Stockes, J. I. (1956) Ind. and Eng. Chem. 38: pp. 1071
- Dantsiger, B. (1956) Khim. i Khim. Tekhnol. 8: pp. 7
- Topchiev, A. V., Krentsel', B. A., Perel'man, A. I. (1957) Uspekhi Khimii 26: pp. 1355
- Balandin, A. A. (1944) Uspekhi Khimii 13: pp. 365
- Levit, A. M., Freidlin, L. Kh. (1950) Zavodskaya Lab. 16: pp. 244
- Balandin, A. A., Brusov, I. I. (1937) Zhur. Org. Khim. 7: pp. 18
- Glemser, Z. (1952) Anorg. Chem. 269: pp. 93
- V. É. Vasserber, Otchet IOKh, 1956.
- Guichard, M. M. (1897) Compt. Rend. 125: pp. 105
- Dunoyer, J. M. (1950) J. Chim. Phys. 47: pp. 290
- Sieverts, A., Zapf, G., Anorgan, Z. (1936) Allgem. Chem. 229: pp. 161
- Some catalytic properties of molybdenum trioxide and dioxide
Bulletin of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Division of chemical science
Volume 8, Issue 11 , pp 1804-1810
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors