Hyperactive behavior in english schoolchildren: A questionnaire survey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The differences in apparent prevalence of childhood hyperactivity between England and North America are more than 20-fold. This paper seeks to illuminate the reasons for the difference by applying a standard measure [Conners Teacher Rating Scale] to 437 English schoolchildren, aged 6 to 9 years, and comparing them with published surveys from the United States and Australasia. The rating scale had moderate interrater reliability and stability over time; it distinguished between children referred for psychiatric treatment and normal schoolchildren. Component analysis yielded a factor of hyperactivity-inattentiveness, distinct from conduct disorder. The mean hyperactivity scores of English children were higher than in most U.S. surveys but lower than in New Zealand. The national differences in rates of diagnosed hyperactivity are likely to reflect diagnostic inconsistency rather than true differences in children's behavior.
- Abikoff, E., Gittelman-Klein, R., & Klein, D. F. Validation of a classroom observation code for hyperactive children. (1977).Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 45, 722–783.
- Bosco, J. J., & Robin, S. S. (1980). Hyperkinesis: Prevalence and treatment (pp. 173–187). In C. K. Whalen & B. Henker (Eds.),Hyperactive children: The social ecology of identification and treatment. New York: Academic Press.
- Cantwell, D. (1977). Hyperkinetic syndrome (pp. 524–555). In M. Rutter & L. Hersov (Eds.),Child psychiatry: Modern approaches, London: Blackwell Scientific.
- Conners, C. K. (1969). A teacher rating scale for use in drug studies with children.American Journal of Psychiatry, 126, 884–888.
- Conners, C. K. (1973). Rating scales for use in drug studies with children.Psychopharmacology Bulletin (Special issue,Pharmacotherapy of Children) 24–29.
- Glow, R. A. (1981). Cross-validity and normative data on the Conners Parent and Teacher Rating Scales (pp. 107–15). In K. D. Gadow & J. Loney (Eds.),The psychosocial aspects of drug treatment for hyperactivity. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press.
- Goyette, C. H., Conners, C. K., & Ulrich, R. F. (1978). Normative data on revised Conners Parent and Teacher Rating Scales.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 6, 221–236.
- Kupietz, S., Bailer, I. & Winsberg, B. (1972). A behavior rating scale for assessing improvement in behaviorally deviant children: A preliminary investigation.American Journal of Psychiatry, 128, 1432–1436.
- Lambert, N. M., Sandoval, J., & Sassone, D. (1978). Prevalence of hyperactivity in elementary school children as a function of social system definers.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 48, 446–463.
- Rutter, M. L., Shaffer, D., & Sturge, C. (1976).A guide to a multiaxial classification scheme for psychiatric disorders in childhood and adolescence. London: Institute of Psychiatry.
- Rutter, M. L., Tizard, J., & Whitmore, K. (1970).Education, health and behavior: Psychological and medical study of childhood development. New York: Wiley.
- Safer, D. J. & Allen, R. P. (1976).Hyperactive children: Diagnosis and management. Baltimore: University Park Press.
- Sandberg, S., Rutter, M., & Taylor, E. (1978). Hyperkinetic disorder in psychiatric clinic attenders.Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 20, 279–299.
- Sandberg, S., Weiselberg, M., & Shaffer, D. (1980). Hyperkinetic and conduct problem children in a primary school population: Some epidemiological considerations.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 21, 293–311.
- Sprague, R. L., Cohen, M. N., & Eichlseder, W. (1977, August).Are there hyperactive children in Europe and the South Pacific? Paper presented at meeting of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco.
- Taylor, E. (1980). Brain damage: Evidence from measures of neurological function in children with psychiatric disorder (pp. 97–113). In E. F. Purcell (Ed.),Psychopathology of children and youth: A cross-cultural perspective. New York: Josiah Macy, Jr. Foundation.
- Werry, J. S. & Hawthorne, D. (1976). Conners' teacher questionnaire—Norms and validity.Australia and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 10, 257–262.
- Werry, J. S., Sprague, R. L., & Cohen, M. N. (1975). Conners' teacher rating scale for use in drug studies with children—An empirical study.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 3, 217–229.
- Hyperactive behavior in english schoolchildren: A questionnaire survey
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 143-155
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors