Long-term effects of early enrichment: A 20-year perspective on persistence and change
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This research was supported in part by a grant from the National Science Foundation. The authors wish to acknowledge the generous assistance of E. J. Pedhazur at New York University, who helped to clarify selected aspects of analytic methods.
- Baltes, P. B., & Nesselroade, J. F. (1972). Cultural change and adolescent personality development: An application of longitudinal sequences.Developmental Psychology, 7, 244–256.
- Borgen, F. H., & Seling, M. J. (1978). Use of discriminant analysis following MANOVA: Multivariate statistics for multivariate purposes.Journal of Applied Psychology, 63, 689–697.
- Brooker, W. G., Erickson, E. L., & Joiner, L. M. (1967).Self-concept of ability and school achievement, III (U.S.O.E. Cooperative Research Report, Project No. 2831). EastLansing: Michigan State University.
- Brookover, W. B., LePere, J. M., Hamachek, D. E., Thomas, S., & Erickson, E. (1965).Self-concept of ability and school achievement, II (U.S.O.E. Cooperative Research Report, Project No. 1636). East Lansing: Michigan State University.
- Brookover, W. B., Patterson, A., & Thomas, S. (1962).Self-concept of ability and school achievement (U.S.O.E. Cooperative Research Report, Project No. 845). East Lansing: Michigan State University.
- Consortium for Longitudinal Studies. (1983).As the twig is bent: Lasting effects of preschool programs. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Crandall, V. C., Katkovsky, W., & Crandall, V. J. (1965). Children's beliefs in their own control of reinforcements in intellectual-academic achievement situations.Child Development, 36, 91–109.
- Cronbach, L. J. (1982).Designing evaluations of educational and social programs. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Deutsch, M., Deutsch, C. P., Jordan, T. J., & Grallo, R. (1983). The IDS program: An experiment in early and sustained enrichment. In Consortium for Longitudinal Studies,As the twig is bent: Lasting effects of preschool programs. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Deutsch, M., Taleporos, E., & Victor, J. (1974). A brief synopsis of an initial enrichment program in early childhood. In S. Ryan (Ed.),A report on longitudinal evaluations of perschool programs (Vol. 1). Washington, DC: OCD, DHEW. Chidlren's Bureau DHEW Publication No. OHD-74-24.
- Deutsch, M., Victor, J., Taleporos, E., Deutsch, C. P., Faigao, B., Calhoun, E., & Ponder, E. (1971).Regional research and resource center in early childhood (Final report to the U.S. Office of Economic Opportunity, Grant #OE02425).
- Feuerstein, R. (1979).The dynamic assessment of retarded performers: The learning potential assessment device, theory, instruments, and techniques. Baltimore: University Park Press.
- Feuerstein, R. (1980).Instrumental enrichment: An intervention program for congnitive modifiability. Baltimore: University Park Press.
- Institute for Developmental Studies. (1965).Annual report. New York Medical College.
- Jordan, T. J. (1979). Cognitive and personality factors related to academic achievement of innercity junior high school students (Doctoral dissertation, New York University, 1978).Dissertation Abstracts International, 40, 1358A. (University Microfilms No. 79-18848.)
- Jordan, T. J. (1981a). Latent effects of early enrichment on life-span development. In T. J. Jordan (Chair),Culture, conflict, and the growth of competence in inner-city adolescents. Symposium presented at the meeting of the American Psychological Association, Los Angeles.
- Jordan, T. J. (1981). Self concepts, motivation, and academic achievement of black adolescents.Journal of Educational Psychology, 73, 509–517.
- Lazar, I., & Darlington, R. B. (1978).Biographical youth interview. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University.
- Lazar, I., & Darlington, R. B. (1978b).Lasting effects after preschool (Final report to the Education Commission of the States). Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
- Lazar, I., Royce, J. M., Murray, H. W., Snipper, A. S., & Darlington, R. B. (1980).Lasting effect after preschool (Final Report to the Consortium for Longitudinal Studies) Ithaca, NY: Cornell University.
- Miller, T. (Ed.). (1966).Proceedings of a presentation to the Division of Early Childhood and Elementary Education by the Institute for Developmental Studies. New York: New York University.
- Miller, T. (Ed.).Proceedings No. 2 of a presentation to the Division of Early Childhood and Elementary Education by the Institute for Developmental Studies. New York: New York University.
- Montessori, M. (1959).Education for a new world. Wheaton, IL: Theosophical Press.
- Pedhazur, E. J. (1982).Multiple regression in behavioral research: Explanation and prediction (2nd ed.). New York: CBS College Publishing.
- Powledge, F. (1967).To change a child. Chicago, IL: Quadrangle Books.
- Richards, D. D., & Siegler, R. S. (1982). U-shaped behavioral curves: It's not whether you're right or wrong, it's why. In S. Strauss (Ed.),U-Shaped behavioral growth. New York: Academic Press.
- Rosenberg, M. (1963). The association between self-esteem and anxiety.Psychiatric Research, 1, 135–152.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965).Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Tatsuoka, M. M. (1971).Multivariate analysis: Techniques for educational and psycholgical research. New York: Wiley.
- Wechsler, D. (1955).Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale. New York: Psycholgical Corp.
- Long-term effects of early enrichment: A 20-year perspective on persistence and change
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 393-415
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors