Social support in high-risk adolescents: Structural components and adaptive impact
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The first author was supported in part during the completion of this work by the Minority Fellowship Program of the American Psychological Association. Funding for this research was provided by a grant from the Edward W. Hazen Foundation to the second author. The authors would like to thank Lisa G. Martin, Martin Klotz, Melanie Ginter, and Stephanie S. Farber for their contributions to this work. Appreciation is also due to the New Haven Schools for their cooperation.
- 1. Poham, W. J.Empirically based revision of an affective measuring instrument. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the California Educational Research Association, San Jose, California, November 1972.
- 2. Felner, R. D., Primavera, J., & Frank, J. G.Parent versus peer orientation and the adjustment of adolescents. Unpublished manuscript, Yale University, 1980.
- Bergin, A. E. The evaluation of therapeutic outcomes. In A. E. Bergin & S. L. Garfield (Eds.),Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change. New York: Wiley, 1971.
- Berndt, T. J. Developmental changes in conformity to peers and parents.Developmental Psychology, 1979,15, 608–616.
- Bianchi, S. M., & Farley, R. Racial differences in family living arrangements and economic well-being: An analysis of recent trends.Journal of Marriage and the Family, 1979,41, 537–551.
- Bloom, B. L. Prevention of mental disorders: Recent advances in theory and practice.Community Mental Health Journal, 1979,15, 179–191.
- Boswell, D. M. Personal crises and the mobilization of the social network. In J. C. Mitchell (Ed.),Social networks in urban situations. Manchester, England: Manchester University Press, 1969.
- Burke, R. J., & Weir, T. Sex differences in adolescent life stress, social support, and well-being.Journal of Psychology, 1978,98, 277–288.
- Campbell, A., Converse, P. E., & Rogers, W. L.The quality of American life: Perceptions, evaluations and satisfactions. New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 1976.
- Caplan, G.Support systems and community mental health: Lectures on concept development. New York: Behavioral Publications, 1974.
- Carveth, W. B., & Gottlieb, B. H. The measurement of social support and its relation to stress.Canadian Journal of Behavioral Science, 1979,11, 180–188.
- Cassell, J. An epidemiological perspective of psychological factors in disease etiology.American Journal of Public Health, 1974,64, 1040–1043.
- Cobb, S. Social support as a moderator of life stress.Psychosomatic Medicine, 1976,38, 300–314.
- Cowen, E. L. The wooing of primary prevention.American Journal of Community Psychology, 1980,8, 258–284.
- Dean, A., & Lin, N. The stress buffering role of social support: Problems and prospects for systematic investigation.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 1977,165, 403–417.
- Dohrenwend, B. S. Social stress and community psychology.American Journal of Community Psychology, 1978,6, 1–15.
- Felner, R. D., Farber, S. S., & Primavera, J. Children of divorce, stressful life events and transitions. In R. H. Price, R. F. Ketterer, B. C. Bader, & J. Monahan (Eds.),Prevention in mental health: Research, policy and practice (Vol. 1). Beverly Hills: Sage, 1980.
- Felner, R. D., Primavera, J., & Cauce, A. M. The impact of school transitions: A focus for preventive efforts.American Journal of Community Psychology, 1981,9, 449–459.
- Frith, S., & Narikawa, O.Attitudes toward school. Los Angeles: Instructional Objectives Exchange, 1972.
- Gad, M. J., & Johnson, J. H. Correlates of adolescent life stress as related to race, S.E.S. and levels of perceived social support.Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 1980,9, 1, 13–16.
- Garrison, K. C., & Garrison, K. C., Jr.Psychology of adolescence. Englewood, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1975.
- Gore, S. The influence of social support and related variables in ameliorating the consequences of job loss.Dissertation Abstracts International, 1974,34, 5331.
- Gottlieb, B. H. The primary group as supportive milieu: Applications to community psychology.American Journal of Community Psychology, 1979,7, 469–480.
- Gottlieb, B. H. Social networks and social support in the design of preventive intervention. In B. H. Gottlieb (Ed.),Social networks and social support in community mental health. Beverly Hills: Sage, 1981.
- Harris, R. J.A primer of multivariate statistics. New York: Academic Press, 1975.
- Heller, K. The effects of social support: Prevention and treatment implications. In A. P. Goldstein & F. H. Kanfer (Eds.),Maximizing treatment gains: Transfer enhancement in psychotherapy. New York: Academic Press, 1979.
- Hirsch, B. J. Natural support systems and coping with major life changes.American Journal of Community Psychology, 1980,8, 159–172.
- Karno, M., & Edgerton, R. B. Perception of mental illness in a Mexican-American community.Archives of General Psychiatry, 1969,20, 233–238.
- McDermott, J. F., Harrison, S. I., Schrager, J., & Wilson, P. Social class and mental illness of children: Observations of blue collar families.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 1965,35, 500–508.
- Nuckolls, K. B., Cassell, J. C., & Kaplan, B. H. Psychological assets, life crisis, and the prognosis of pregnancy.American Journal of Epidemiology, 1972,95, 431–441.
- Padilla, A. M., & Ruiz, R. A.Latino mental health: A review of the literautre (DHEW Publication). Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1973.
- Sandler, I. N. Social support resources, stress and maladjustment of poor children.American Journal of Community Psychology, 1980,8, 41–52.
- Scheffé, H. A.The analysis of variance. New York: Wiley, 1959.
- Stierlin, H.Separating parents and adolescents. New York: Quadrangle/New York Times Book Company, 1974.
- U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare.National Longitudinal Study of the High School Class of 1972: Student questionnaire and test results by sex, high school program, ethnic category and father's education. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1975.
- Social support in high-risk adolescents: Structural components and adaptive impact
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 10, Issue 4 , pp 417-428
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links