Self-help groups: The members' perspectives
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study is one of a series on self-help groups supported in part by a grant, RO1 MH24961, from the National Institute of Mental Health.
- 1. Levy, L. H., Knight, B., Padgett, V. P., & Wollert, R. W.Patterns of help giving in self-help groups. Paper presented at the meeting of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, 1977.
- Antze, P. The role of ideologies in peer psychotherapy organizations.Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 1976,12, 323–346.
- Baekeland, F., Lundwall, L., & Kissin, B. Methods for the treatment of chronic alcoholism: A critical appraisal. In R. J. Gibbins, Y. Israel, H. Kalant, R. E. Popham, W. Schmidt, & R. G. Smart (Eds.),Research advances in alcohol and drug problems (Vol. 2). New York: Wiley, 1975.
- Bandura, A.Principles of behavior modification. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1969.
- Bednar, R. L., & Lawlis, F. Empirical research in group psychotherapy. In A. E. Bergin & S. L. Garfield (Eds.),Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change. New York: Wiley, 1971.
- Bergin, A. E. The evaluation of therapeutic outcomes. In A. E. Bergin & S. L. Garfield (Eds.),Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change. New York: Wiley, 1971.
- Buchwald, A. M. Learning theory and behavior therapy. In W. K. Estes (Ed.),Handbook of learning and cognitive processes (Vol. 3). Hillsdale, N.J.: Erlebaum, 1976.
- Durman, E. C. The role of self help in service provision.Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 1976,12, 433–443.
- Garfield, S. L. Research on client variables in psychotherapy. In A. E. Bergin & S. L. Garfield (Eds.),Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change. New York: Wiley, 1971.
- Gartner, A., & Riessman, F.Self-help in the human services. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1977.
- Glaser, B. G., & Strauss, A.The discovery of grounded theory: Strategies for qualitative research. Chicago: Aldine, 1967.
- Hartley, D., Roback, H., & Abramowitz, S. Deterioration effects in encounter groups.American Psychologist, 1976,31, 247–255.
- Killilea, M. Mutual help organizations: Interpretations in the literature. In G. Caplan & M. Killilea (Eds.),Support systems and mutual help. New. York: Grune & Stratton, 1976.
- Kleiman, M. A., Mantell, J. E., & Alexander, E. S. Collaboration and its discontents: The perils of partnership.Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 1976,12, 403–409.
- Levy, L. H. Self-help groups: Types and psychological processes.Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 1976,12, 310–322.
- Levy, L. H. Self-help groups viewed by mental health professionals: A survey and comments.American Journal of Community Psychology, 1978,6, 305–313.
- Lieberman, M. A., & Bond, G. R. The problem of being a woman: A survey of 1700 women in consciousness raising groups.Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 1976,12, 363–380.
- Lieberman, M. A., & Borman, L. D. Self help and social research.Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 1976,12, 455–463.
- Marascuilo, L. A.Statistical methods for behavioral science research. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1971.
- Menninger, K. A., & Holzman, P. S.Theory of psychoanalytic technique. New York: Basic Books, 1973.
- Rimm, D. C., & Masters, J. C.Behavior therapy. New York: Academic Press, 1974.
- Schofield, W.Psychotherapy: The purchase of friendship. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 1964.
- Smith, M. L., & Glass, G. V. Meta-analysis of psychotherapy outcome studies.American Psychologist, 1977,32, 752–760.
- Thoreson, C. E., & Mahoney, M. J.Behavioral self control. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1974.
- Tyler, R. W. Self help groups: Thoughts on public policy.Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 1976,12, 444–447.
- Weiner, I. B.Principles of psychotherapy. New York: Wiley, 1975.
- Yalom, I. D.Theory and practice of group psychotherapy. New York: Basic Books, 1970.
- Self-help groups: The members' perspectives
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 53-65
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links