Premarital counseling: A needs assessment among engaged individuals
- Lee M. Williams PhD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Although engaged individuals are the primary consumers of premarital counseling, no previous research has explored their perceptions regarding marriage preparation. This article reports what engaged individuals believe are the important areas to address when preparing couples for marriage. It also explores other attitudes and preferences that engaged individuals have toward marriage preparation.
- Bader, E., Microys, G., Sinclair, C., Willet, E., & Conway, B. (1980). Do marriage preparation programs really work?: A Canadian example.Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 6, 171–179.
- Bagarozzi, D. A., & Rauen, P. (1981). Premarital counseling: Appraisal and status.American Journal of Family Therapy, 9, 13–30.
- Ball, J. D., & Henning, L. H. (1981). Rational suggestions for pre-marital counseling.Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 7, 69–73.
- Buckner, L. P., & Salts, C. J. (1985). A premarital assessment program.Family Relations, 34, 513–520.
- Fournier, D. G., Olson, D. H., & Druckman, J. M. (1983). Assessing marital and premarital relationships: The PREPARE-ENRICH inventories. In E. E. Filsinger (Ed.),Marriage and family assessment (pp. 229–250). Beverly Hills: Sage Publishing.
- Glendening, S. E., & Wilson III, A.J. (1972). Experiments in group counseling.Social Casework, 53, 551–562.
- Guldner, C. A. (1971). The post-marital: An alternate to premarital counseling.The Family Coordinator, 20, 115–119.
- Larson, J. H. (1989). Factors influencing college students' perceived readiness for marriage.Family Perspective, 22, 145–156.
- Levant, R. F. (1987). The use of marketing techniques to facilitate acceptance of parent education programs: A case example.Family Relations, 36, 246–251.
- Lown, J. M., McFadden, J. R., & Crossman, S. M. (1989). Family life education for remarriage: Focus on financial management.Family Relations, 38, 40–45.
- Martin, D., & Martin, M. (1984). Selected attitudes toward marriage and family life among college students.Family Relations, 33, 293–300.
- Nickols, S. A., Fournier, D. G., & Nickols, S. Y. (1986). Evaluation of a preparation for marriage workshop,Family Relations, 35, 563–571.
- Olson, D. H. (1983). How effective is marriage preparation? In D. R. Mace (Ed.),Prevention in family services: Approaches to family Wellness (pp. 65–75). Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Renick, M. J., Blumberg, S. L., & Markman, H. J. (1992). The Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program (PREP): An empirically based preventive intervention program for couples.Family Relations, 41, 141–147.
- Ridley, C. A., Avery, A. W., Harrell, J. E., Leslie, L. A., & Dent, J. (1981). Conflict management: A premarital training program in mutual problem solving.American Journal of Family Therapy, 9, 23–32.
- Ridley, C. A., Jorgensen, S. R., Morgan, A. G., Avery, A. W. (1982). Relationship enhancement with premarital couples: An assessment of effects on relationship quality.American Journal of Family Therapy, 10, 41–48.
- Schumm, W. R., & Denton, W. (1979). Trends in premarital counseling.Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 5, 23–32.
- Silliman, B., Schumm, W. R., & Jurich, A. P. (1992). Young adult's preferences for premarital preparation program designs: An exploratory study.Contemporary Family Therapy, 14, 89–100.
- Stahmann, R. F., & Hiebert, W. J. (1987).Premarital counseling: The professional's handbook (2nd ed). Lexington, MA: D. C. Heath.
- Trainer, J. B. (1979). Pre-marital counseling and examination.Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 5, 61–78.
- Zoost, B. V. (1973). Premarital communication skills education with university students.The Family Coordinator, 22, 187–191.
- Premarital counseling: A needs assessment among engaged individuals
Contemporary Family Therapy
Volume 14, Issue 6 , pp 505-518
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 1800 Third Avenue, Suite 512, 61201-8000, Rock Island, IL