The effects of information in a resource management problem: A social trap analog
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A resource management simulation was devised in which players could harvest points for individual short-term gain, causing the premature destruction of the resource pool, or they could curb their own individual harvesting to preserve the pool for a longer overall supply. Although the first strategy was explained to be self-defeating, most groups opted for it, as they did even when an optimal harvesting strategy was provided that would avoid pool destruction. Groups whose members were allowed to communicate generally made better resource managers and achieved larger individual harvests.
- Brechner, K. C. (1977). An experimental analysis of social traps.Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 63: 428–433.
- Cass, R. C. (1975). Territoriality and the tragedy of the commons: A social trap analysis. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Arizona State University, University Microfilms No. 75–28, 482.
- Cass, R. C. and Edney, J. J. (1978). The commons dilemma: A simulation testing the effects of resource visibility and territorial division.Human Ecology 6: 371–386.
- Dawes, R, M. (1973). The commons dilemma: Ann-person mixed-motive game with a dominating strategy for defection.Oregon Research Institute Research Bulletin 13: 1–12.
- Dawes, R. M. (1975). Formal models of dilemmas in social decision-making. In M. S. Kaplan and S. Schwartz (eds.),Human Judgment and Decision Processes: Formal and Mathematical Approaches. Academic Press, New York.
- Dawes, R. M., McTavish, J., and Shaklee, H. (1977). Behavior, communication, and assumptions about other people's behavior in a commons dilemma situation.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 35: 1–11.
- Edney, J. J., and Harpler, C. S. (in press). Heroism in a resource crisis: A simulation study.Environmental Management.
- Hardin, G. (1968). The tragedy of the commons.Science 162: 1243–1248.
- Harper, C. S. (1978). Competition and cooperation in a resource management task: A social trap analog. In S. Weideman and J. Anderson (eds.),Priorities for Environmental Design Research. Washington, D.C.: Environmental Design Research Association.
- Jerdee, T. H., and Rosen, B. (1974). Effects of opportunity to communicate and visibility of individual decisions on behavior in the common interest.Journal of Applied Psychology 59: 712–716.
- Platt, J. Social traps. (1973).American Psychologist 28: 641–651.
- Stern, P. C. (1976). Effects of incentives and education on resource conservation decisions in a simulated commons dilemma.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 34: 1285–1292.
- Watzke, G. E., Dana, J. M., Doktor, R. H., and Rubenstein, R. H. (1972). An experimental study of individual versus group interest.Acta Sociologica 15: 366–376.
- The effects of information in a resource management problem: A social trap analog
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 387-395
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- resource management
- commons dilemma
- social trap