Philosophy of medicine as the source for medical ethics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The article offers an approach to inquiry about, the foundation of medical ethics by addressing three areas of conceptual presupposition basic to medical ethical theory. First, medical ethics must presuppose a view about the nature of medicine. it is argued that the view required by a cogent medical morality entails that medicine be seen both as a healing relationship and as a practical art. Three ways in which medicine inherently involves values and valuation are presented as important, i.e., in being aimed at the good of health, in being a cognitive art evaluating towards that good, and as a manifestation of a virtuous disposition concerning that good. Finally, a value ontology drawn from these considerations is seen as necessarily underlying medical ethics. A set of three such basic values are promoted as crucial: the value of health; the value of the individual patient; and the value of altruism that mediates the class of potential patients.
- Gorovitz, S., and MacIntyre, A.: 1976, ‘Toward a theory of medical fallibility’,Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 1, 51–71.
- Pellegrino, E. D.: 1979, ‘Toward a reconstruction of medical morality: The primacy of theact of profession and thefact of illness’,Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 4, 32–56.
- Pellegrino, E. D.: 1979,: ‘The anatomy of clinical judgments Some notes on right reason and right action’, in H. T. Engelhardt, Jr., S. Spicker and B. Towers (eds.),Clinical Judgment: A Critical Appraisal, pp. 169–194, Reidel, Dordrecht.
- Pellegrino, E. D., and Thomasma, D. C.:The Philosophical Foundations of Medical Practice: Toward a Philosophy and Ethics of the Health Profession, Oxford University Press, New York, 1981.
- Ramsey, P.: 1973,:The Patient as Person, Yale University Press, New Haven and London.
- Spicker, S., and Engelhardt, H. T., Jr. (eds.) 1977,Philosophical Medical Ethics: Its Nature and Significance, Reidel, Dordrecht.
- Philosophy of medicine as the source for medical ethics
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 5-11
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Philosophy of medicine
- Nature of medicine
- Healing relationship
- Techne iatrike
- Medical ethics
- Value ontology
- Medicalethical decisions