Sensitivity of a seismically active reservoir to low-amplitude fluctuations: Observations from Lake Jocassee, South Carolina
- Kusala Rajendran
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Relation between water level changes and pattern of seismicity is an important consideration in studies of Reservoir Induced Seismicity (RIS). Sensitivity of the Regions around Lake Jocassee to small fluctuations in the lake level is presented in this paper. The seismic source regions in the area around the lake seem to be sensitive to changes in the lake level as small as 1 to 1.5 m. Although such changes may produce stress changes of the order of only 0.1 bar, their influence on the spatial pattern of earthquakes seems to be quite perceptible. Observations of this type may help understand the threshold values of pore pressure/effective stress changes that can activate fault zones under high fluid pressure.
- Acker, L. L., Hatcher, R. D. (1970) Relationship between Structure and Topography in Northwest South Carolina. Geol. Notes, S. C. Division of Geology 14: pp. 35-48
- Bell, M. L., Nur, A. (1978) Strength Changes due to Reservoir-induced Pore Pressure and Application to Lake Orcville. J. Geophys. Res. 83: pp. 4469-4483
- Bollinger, G. A. (1975),A Catalog of Southeastern United States Earthquakes 1754 through 1974, Dept. Geol. Sci., Va, Polytech. Inst. and State Univ. Res. Div. Bull.101.
- Byerlee, J. (1990) Friction, Overpressure and Fault Normal Compression. Geophys. Res. Lett. 12: pp. 2109-2112
- Grasso, J. R., Guyoton, F., Fréchet, J., Gammond, J. F. (1992) Triggered Earthquakes as Stress Gauge: Implication for the Upper Crust Behaviour in the Grenbole Area, France. Pure and Appl. Geophys. 139: pp. 579-605
- Gupta, H. K. (1992),Reservoir-induced Earthquakes, Developments in Geotechnical Engineering64, Elsevier, 365 pp.
- Rajendran, K. (1992),Poroelastic Models and the Mechanism of Reservoir-induced Seismicity, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of South Carolina, 141 pp.
- Rajendran, K., Talwani, P. (1992) The Role of Elastic, Undrained and Drained Responses in Triggering Earthquakes at Monticello Reservoir. South Carolina, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 82: pp. 12867-12888
- Reasenburg, P. A., Simpson, R. W. (1992) Response of Regional Seismicity to the Static Stress Changes Produced by Loma Prieta Earthquake. Science 255: pp. 1687-1689
- Rice, J. R. Fault stress states, pore pressure distributions and the weakness of the San Andreas fault. In Fault Mechanics and Transport Properties in Rocks. In: Evans, B., Wong, T. F. eds. (1992) Fault Mechanics and Transport Properties in Rocks. Academic, San Diego, pp. 475-503
- Roeloffs, E. A. (1988) Fault Stability Changes Induced beneath a Reservoir with Cyclic Variations in Water Level. J. Geophys. Res. 93: pp. 2107-2124
- Scholz, C. H.,The Mechanics of Earthquake Faulting (Cambridge University Press 1990) 439 pp.
- Snow, D. T.,Geodynamics of seismic reservoirs. In Proc. Symp.Flow Fractured Rock (German Soc. Soil Rock Mech., Stuttgart 1972), TS-J, 19 pp.
- Stein, R. S., King, G., Lin, J. (1992) Change in Failure Stress on the Southern San Andreas Fault System Caused by the 1992 Magnitude 7.4 Landers Earthquake. Science 258: pp. 1328-1332
- Talwani, P., Stevenson, D., Sauber, J., Rastogi, B. K., Drew, A., Chiang, J., Amick, D. (1978) Seismicity Studies at Lake Jocassee, Lake Keowee, and Monticello Reservoir, South Carolina (October 1977–March 1978). US Geological Survey, Reston, VA
- Talwani, P., Acree, S. (1984) Pore Pressure Diffusion and the Mechanism of Reservoir-induced Seismicity. Pure and Appl. Geophys. 122: pp. 947-965
- Zoback, M., Hickman, S. (1982) In situ Study of the Physical Mechanisms Controlling Induced Seismicity at Monticello Reservoir, South Carolina. J. Geophys. Res. 87: pp. 6959-6974
- Sensitivity of a seismically active reservoir to low-amplitude fluctuations: Observations from Lake Jocassee, South Carolina
pure and applied geophysics
Volume 145, Issue 1 , pp 87-95
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Induced seismicity
- seismicity pattern
- pore pressure
- Industry Sectors
- Kusala Rajendran (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre For Earth Science Studies, 695031, Trivandrum, India