An examination of the ethical beliefs of managers using selected scenarios in a cross-cultural environment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Academic literature addressing the topic of business ethics has paid little attention to cross-cultural studies of business ethics. Uncertainty exists concerning the effect of culture on ethical beliefs. The purpose of this research is to compare the ethical beliefs of managers operating in South Africa and Australia. Responses of 52 managers to a series of ethical scenarios were sought. Results indicate that despite differences in socio-cultural and political factors there are no statistically significant differences between the two groups regarding their own ethical beliefs. Results thus support the view that culture has little or no impact on ethical beliefs.
- Barry, V.: 1979,Moral Issues in Business (Wadsworth Publishing Co., New York).
- Beauchamp, T. L. and Bowie, E.: 1983,Ethical Theory and Business, 2nd ed. (Prentice Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ).
- Bellizi, J. A. and Hite, R. W.: 1989, ‘Supervising Unethical Sales Force Behaviour’,Journal of Marketing 53, pp. 36–47.
- Beversluis, E. H.: 1987, ‘Is there no Such Thing as Business Ethics?’,Journal of Business Ethics 6, pp. 81–88.
- Boote, A. S.: 1981, ‘Reliability Testing of Psychographic Scales’,Journal of Advertising Research 21 (October), pp. 533–60.
- Chonko, L. B. and Hunt, S. D.: 1985, ‘Ethics and Marketing Management: An Empirical Examination’,Journal of Business Research 13, pp. 339–359.
- Cooke, R. A.: 1986, ‘Business Ethics at the Crossroads’,Journal of Business Ethics 5, pp. 259–263.
- Dalrymple, D. J.: 1988,Sales Management: Concepts and Cases (John Wiley and Sons, New York).
- De George, R. T.: 1987, ‘The Status of Business Ethics: Past and Future’,Journal of Business Ethics 6, pp. 201–211.
- Dubinsky, A. J., Berkowitz, E. N., and Rudelius, W.: 1980, ‘Ethical Problems of Field Sales Personnel’,MSU Business Topics 28, pp. 11–16.
- England, G. W.: 1975,The Manager and His Values: an International Perspective (Ballinger Publishing Co., Cambridge).
- Freund, R. J., Littell, R. C., and Spector, P. C.: 1986,SAS for Linear Models (SAS Institute Inc., Cary N.C.).
- Izraeli, D.: 1988, ‘Ethical Beliefs and Behavior of Managers — A Cross-Cultural Perspective’,Journal of Business Ethics 7, pp. 263–271.
- Johnson, R. A. and Wichern, D. W.: 1982,Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.).
- Laczniak, G. R.: 1983, ‘Framework for Analysing Market Ethics’,Journal of Macromarketing 1, pp. 7–18.
- Lee, K.-H.: 1981, ‘Ethical Beliefs in Marketing Management: A Cross Cultural Study’,European Journal of Marketing 15, pp. 58–67.
- Lewis, P. V.: 1985, ‘Defining “Business Ethics”: Like Nailing Jello to a Wall’,Journal of Business Ethics 4, pp. 377–383.
- Lombardi, L. G.: 1985, ‘A Quick Justification of Business Ethics’,Journal of Business Ethics 4, pp. 353–356.
- Martin T. R.: 1985, ‘Ethics in Marketing: Problems and Prospects in Marketing Ethics: Guidelines for Managers Gene’, in G. R. Laczniak and P. E. Murphy (Lexington Books, Lexington MA).
- McClelland, D. C.: 1961,The Achieving Society (Nostrand, New Jersey).
- Newstrom, J. W. and Ruch, W. A.: 1975, ‘The Ethics of Management and the Management of Ethics’,MSU Business Topics (Winter), pp. 31–36.
- Prasad, J. and Rao, C. P.: 1982, ‘Foreign Payoffs and International Business Ethics: Revisited’,Southern Marketing Association Proceedings, pp. 260–264.
- Solomon, R. C. and Hanson, K.: 1985,Its Good Business (Harper and Row, New York).
- Tsalikis J. and Fritzche, D. J.: 1989, ‘Business Ethics: A Literature Review with Focus on Marketing Ethics’,Journal of Business Ethics 8, pp. 695–743.
- Tsalikis J. and Nwachukwu, O.: 1988, ‘Cross-Cultural Business Ethics: Ethical Beliefs. Difference Between Blacks and Whites’,Journal of Business Ethics 7, pp. 745–754.
- Tsalikis J. and Nwachukwu, O.: 1989, ‘Cross-Cultural Marketing Ethics: An Investigation on the Ethical Beliefs' & Differences Between Greeks and Americans’,Journal of International Consumer Marketing 1, p. 3.
- Vitell S. J. and Festervand, T. F.: 1987, ‘Business Ethics: Conflicts, Practices and Beliefs of Industrial Executives’,Journal of Business Ethics 6, pp. 111–122.
- An examination of the ethical beliefs of managers using selected scenarios in a cross-cultural environment
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 29-35
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors