Can a Business and Society course affect the ethical judgment of future managers?
- James R. Glenn Jr.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper reports the results of a four year study to measure the effect of a Business and Society course on the ethical judgment of students. The research involves a matched pre/post survey with control design, with the Business and Society course functioning as the treatment variable. The subjects were undergraduate and graduate (M.B.A.) business students (n=460). The answer to the question posed by the title of this paper is yes, in a more ethical direction.
- Arlow, P. and Ulrich, T. A.: 1980, ‘Business Ethics, Social Responsibility and Business Students: An Empirical Comparison of Clark's Study’,Akron Business and Economic Review 11 (Fall), pp. 17–22.
- Arlow, P. and Ulrich, T. A.: 1985, ‘Business Ethics and Business School Graduates: A Longitudinal Study’,Akron Business and Economic Review 16 (Spring), pp. 13–17.
- Barach, J. A. and Nicol, E. A.: 1980, ‘Teaching Ethics in Business School’,Collegiate News and Views (Fall), pp. 5–8.
- Baumhart, R.: 1968,Ethics in Business (Holt, Rhinehart and Winston, New York).
- Boyd, D. P.: 1981–1982, ‘Improving Ethical Awareness Through the Business and Society Course’,Business and Society 20(1) and21(1), pp. 27–31.
- Cohen, E. and Cornwell L.: 1989, ‘A Question of Ethics: Developing Information System Ethics’,Journal of Business Ethics 8(6), pp. 431–437.
- Derry, R: 1987, ‘Moral Reasoning In Work-Related Conflicts’, In W. C. Frederick and L. E. Preston (Eds.) RESEARCH IN CORPORATE SOCIAL PERFORMANCE AND POLICY9, pp. 25–49.
- Fritzsche, D. J. and Becker H.: 1984, ‘Linking Management Behavior to Ethical Philosophy — An Empirical Investigation’,Academy of Management Journal 27, 166–173.
- Gilligan, C: 1982,In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women' Development (Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass).
- Glenn Jr., J. R.: 1987, ‘Comparing Future & Practicing Manager's Ethical Attitudes’, San Francisco State University, School of Business Working Paper.
- Glenn Jr., J. R.: 1989, ‘Business Curriculum & Ethics: Student Attitudes and Behavior’Business & Professional Ethics Journal VII (3, 4), pp. 167–185.
- Glenn Jr., J. R.: 1990, ‘Business Students and Ethics: Implications for Professors and Managers’, Chapter fromEnriching Business Ethics, C. M. Walton (ed.) (Plenum Press, New York), pp. 213–231.
- Glenn, Jr., J. R. and Van Loo, M. F.: 1988, ‘Business Students' & Practitioners' Ethical Decisions Over Time’, University of California, Berkeley Business School Working Paper No. BPP-34.
- Jones, T. E., Thomas T., Agle B.: 1991, ‘Gauging The Impact of Business Education on the Moral Development of Students’, paper for the second annual meeting of the International Accociation For Business and Society, Sundance, Utah, March 1991.
- Martin, T. R.: 1981–1982, ‘Do Courses in Ethics Improve the Ethical Judgment of Students?’,Business and Society 20(1) and21(1), 17–26.
- Penn Jr., W. Y. and Collier B. D.: 1985, ‘Current Research in Moral Development as a Decision Support System’,Journal of Business Ethics 4, 131–136.
- Purcell, T. V.: 1977, ‘Do Courses in Business Ethics Pay Off?’,California Management Review 19(4), 50–58.
- Rest, J.: 1974, ‘Judging the Important Issues in Moral Dilemmas — An Objective Measure of Development’,Developmental Psychology 10, 491–501.
- Rest, J.: 1979, Development in Judging Moral Issues (University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, MN).
- Rest, J. R. and Toma, S. J.: 1986, ‘Moral Judgment, Behavior, Decision Making, and Attitudes’, in J. R. Rest,Moral Development: Advances in Research and Theory (Praeger Press, New York).
- Stead, J. S. R.: 1988, ‘Can Social Awareness be Increased through Business School Curricula?’,Journal of Business Ethics 7, pp. 553–560.
- Surlin, S. H.: 1987, ‘Value system Changes by Students As Result of Media Ethics Course’,Journalism Quarterly 64(2–3), pp.564–568, 676.
- Weber, J.: 1990, ‘Measuring the Impact of Teaching Ethics to Future Managers: a Review, Assessment and Recommendations’,Journal of Business Ethics 9, pp. 183–190.
- Wynd, W. R. and Mager, J.: 1989, ‘The Business and Society Course: Does It Change Student Attitudes?’,Journal of Business Ethics 8(6), pp.486–491.
- Can a Business and Society course affect the ethical judgment of future managers?
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 217-223
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors