On the seasonal variation of local relationships between temperature, temperature range, sunshine and cloudiness
- G. R. Weber
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
At Berlin-Dahlem, monthly single station data on cloudiness, sunshine duration, mean, maximum and minimum temperature is statistically analyzed for the time period 1955–1993.
It is found that sunshine duration varies inversely with cloud cover; cloud cover correlates negatively with temperature range. Cloud cover correlates negatively with temperature between March and September, and positively with temperature during the remaining months.
Between 1955 und 1993, there are no significant changes in temperature range in any month but June and September, when a decline occurred.
Sunshine declined significantly in March, June and September. Trends between 1955 and 1987 indicate a larger decline of sunshine and decline in temperature range than between 1955 and 1993.
Locally, sulfate deposition, which may be taken as an indicator of the atmospheric sulfate load, decreased by more than a third between the mid-1950s and the late 1980s. Therefore, at Berlin, the observed increase of cloudiness (decrease of sunshine duration) between the 1950s and the late 1980s went parallel to the measured decrease of sulfate deposition.
- Bücher, A., Dessens, J. (1991) Secular trend of surface temperature at an elevated observatory in the Pyrenees. J. Climate 4: pp. 859-868
- Calvert, J. G., Cd. (1984) SO 2,NO and NO 2 Oxidation Mechanisms: Atmospheric Considerations. Acid Precipitation Series, vol. 3. Ann Arbor Science, Butterworth Publishers, London
- Charlson, R. J., Lovelock, J. E., Andreae, M. O., Warren, S. G. (1987) Oceanic phytoplankton, atmospheric sulphur, cloud albedo and climate. Nature 326: pp. 655-661
- Charlson, R. J., Schwartz, S. E., Hales, J. M., Cess, R. D., Coakley, J. A., Hansen, J. E., Hofmann, D. J. (1992) Climate forcing by anthropogenic aerolsols. Science 225: pp. 423-430
- Dobesch, H. (1992) On the variations of sunshine duration in Austria. Theor. App. Climatol. 46: pp. 33-38
- Henderson-Sellers, A. (1986) Increasing cloud in a warming world. Climatic Change 9: pp. 267-309
- Houghton, J. T., Callander, B. A., Varney, S. K. (1992) Climate Change 1992: The Supplementary Report to the IPCC Scientific Assessment. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Hoyt, D. V. (1977) Percent of possible sunshine and the total cloud cover. Mon. Wea. Rev. 105: pp. 648-652
- Jones, P. A. (1991) Historical records of cloud cover and climate for Australia. Aust. Met. Mag. 39: pp. 181-189
- Karl, T. R., Kukla, G., Razuvayev, V. N., Changery, M. J., Quayle, R. G., Heim, R. R., Easterling, D. R., Fu, C. B. (1991) Global warming: Evidence for asymmetric diurnal temperature change. Geophys. Res. Lett. 18/12: pp. 2253-2256
- Karl, Th. R., Jones, Ph. D., Knight, R. W., Kukla, G., Plummer, N., Razuvayev, V., Gallo, K., Lindseay, J., Charlson, R. J., Peterson, Th. C. (1993) A new perspective on recent global warming: Asymmetric trends of daily maximum and minimum and temperature. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 74: pp. 1007-1023
- Kaufmann, Y. J., Fraser, S., Mahoney, R. L. (1991) Fossil fuel and biomass burning effect on climate-heating or cooling. J. Climate 4: pp. 578-588
- Kaufmann, Y. J., Ming-Dah Chou, (1993) Model simulations of the competing climatic effects of SO2 and CO2. J. Climate 6: pp. 1241-1252
- Kukla, G., Karl, Th. R. (1993) Nighttime warming and the greenhouse effect. Environ. Sci. Technol. 27: pp. 1468-1474
- Lahmann, E. (1991) Luftverunreinigungen in Berlin. Literaturstudie über Immissionsmeßprogramme und deren Ergebnisse. Immissionsmeßergebnisse, 12. Sen. f. Stadtentw. u. Umweltschutz, Berlin
- Michaels, P. J., Stooksbury, D. E. (1992) Global warming: A reduced threat?. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 73/10: pp. 1563-1577
- Michaels, P. J. (1992) Sound and Fury. The Science and Politics of Global Warming. Cato Institute, Washington D. C.
- Plantico, M. S., Karl, T. R., Kukla, G., Gavin, J. (1990) Is recent climate change across the United States related to rising levels of anthropogenic greenhouse gases?. J. Geophys. Res. 95/D10: pp. 16,617-16,637
- Sinik, N. (1992) A local climatic model of the temperature-cloudiness relationship. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 46: pp. 135-142
- Weber, G.-R. (1990) Spatial and temporal variations of sunshine in the Federal Republic of Germany. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 41: pp. 1-9
- Weber, G.-R. Emission und Immissionen von steinkohlenbergbauspezifischen Luftverunreinigungen. In: Wiggering, H. eds. (1993) Steinkohlenbergbau — Steinkohle als Grundstoff, Energieträger und Umweltfaktor. Verlag Ernst & Sohn, Berlin, pp. 158-170
- On the seasonal variation of local relationships between temperature, temperature range, sunshine and cloudiness
Theoretical and Applied Climatology
Volume 50, Issue 1-2 , pp 15-22
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- G. R. Weber (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Gesamtverband des Deutschen Steinkohlenbergbaus, Essen, Germany