Two-dimensional stability of the combustion of condensed systems
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The question of the combustion stability of condensed systems relative to curvature of the front is investigated in a linear approximation. Two of the simplest combustion models are examined, a gasless system and a model of flameless combustion of a solid fuel. In the first case, the combustion products are condensed, just as are the initial materials, and in the second the solid fuel is converted into a gas in which no chemical reactions occur. Boundaries of the stability of the stationary combustion mode are found. It is shown that gasless systems are less stable with respect to two-dimensional perturbations than to one-dimensional perturbations. For the flameless combustion model the result depends on the relationship between the thermophysical constants of the initial material and the products. The question of the influence of heat emission on the one-dimensional stability of the gasless composites is considered. An increase in the heat emission diminishes the stable combustion region, where a one-dimensional instability originates earlier than collapse of combustion occurs because of strong heat emission to the wall.
- A. F. Belyaev and L. D. Komkova, “Dependence of the thermite combustion velocity on pressure,” Zh. Fiz. Khim.,24, No. 11 (1950).
- E. I. Maksimov, A. G. Merzhanov, and V. M. Shkiro, “Gasless compounds as the simplest combustion model of nonvolatile condensed systems,” Fiz. Goren, i Vzryva, No. 4 (1965).
- Ya. B. Zel'dovich, “On the theory of combustion of powders and explosives,” Zh. Éksperim. i Teor. Fiz.,12, No. 11–12 (1942).
- B. V. Novozhilov, “Propagation velocity of an exothermal reaction in the condensed phase,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,141, No. 1 (1961).
- S. S. Novikov and Yu. S. Ryazantsev, “On the theory of the stationary propagation velocity of an exothermal reaction front in a condensed medium,” Zh. Prikl. Mekhan. i Tekh. Fiz., No. 3 (1965).
- B. I. Khaikin and A. G. Merzhanov, “On the theory of thermal propagation of a chemical reaction front,” Fiz. Goren, i Vzryva, No. 3 (1966).
- G. I. Barenblatt, Ya. B. Zel'dovich, and A. G. Istratov, “On the diffusion-thermal stability of a laminar flame,” Zh. Prikl. Mekhan. i Tekh. Fiz., No. 4 (1962).
- Ya. B. Zel'dovich, “Theory of the propagation limit of a quiet flame,” Zh. Éksperim. i Teor. Fiz.,11, No. 1 (1941).
- A. A. Zen in, “Nitroglycerine powder combustion in a vacuum and at pressures above atmospheric,” Fiz. Goren. i Vzryva, No. 1 (1966).
- B. V. Novozhilov, “Stability criterion of the stationary powder combustion mode,” Zh. Prikl. Mekhan. i Tekh. Fiz., No.4 (1965).
- Two-dimensional stability of the combustion of condensed systems
Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics
Volume 12, Issue 5 , pp 676-682
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links