Development and validation of the Sexual Self-Disclosure Scale
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The recent literature on human sexuality emphasizes the importance of sexual communication. The present research reports the results of three studies documenting the development and validation of an instrument concerned with sexual communication, the Sexual Self-Disclosure Scale (SSDS). The results in Study I indicated that the twelve SSDS subscales were highly reliable and that women were more willing to discuss the topics on the SSDS with female than male therapists. A second study revealed that men's and women's responses to the SSDS were related in meaningful, predictable ways to their sexual-esteem, sexual-depression and sexual-preoccupation, as measured by the Sexuality Scale. In Study III, the SSDS was revised to include a wider variety of sexual topics dealing with sexual behaviors, values-preferences, attitudes, and feelings. The results from Study III indicated that men's and women's responses to the SSDS-R varied as a function of their own gender and the content of the sexual topics. The discussion focuses on the increased need for communication about sexual issues, the implications of the present findings for intimate relationships, and the possible uses of the Sexual Self-Disclosure Scale in the study of human sexuality.
- Allgeier, E.R., Allgeier, A.R. (1984) Sexual interactions. Heath, Lexington, Mass.
- Bailey, W.C., Hendrick, C., Hendrick, S.S. (1987) Relation of sex and gender role to love, sexual attitudes, and self-esteem. Sex Roles 16: pp. 637-648
- Belk, S.S., Snell, W.E. (1988) Avoidance strategy use. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology 7: pp. 80-96
- Belk, S.S., & Snell, W.E., Jr. (in press). Stereotypic beliefs about women as moderators of stress-distress relationships.Journal of Clinical Psychology.
- Belk, S.S., & Snell, W.E., Jr. (1985, April). The attribution of beliefs about women to mentally healthy women and men: The influence of counseling orientation. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Southwestern Psychological Association, Austin, Texas.
- Belk, S.S., Snell, W.E. (1986) The Beliefs About Women Scale (BAWS): Components and correlates. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 12: pp. 403-413
- Belk, S.S., Snell, W.E. (1986) The Beliefs About Women Scale (BAWS): Scale development and validation. Social and Behavioral Sciences Documents 16: pp. 10
- Belk, S. S., Snell, W. E., Jr., Garcia-Falconi, R., & Hernandez-Sanchez, J. E. (1985, April). Mental health standards for women and men: A cross-cultural study of mentally healthy beliefs about women. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Southwestern Psychological Association, Austin, Texas.
- Byrne, D., Byrne, L.A. eds. (1977) Exploring human sexuality. Harper & Row, New York
- Byrne, D., Fisher, W.A. (1983) Adolescents, sex, and contraception. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ
- Delamater, J., MacCorquodale, P. (1979) Premarital sexuality: Attitudes, relationships, behavior. University of Wisconsin Press, Madison
- Fisher, T. D. (1986) Parent-child communication about sex and young adolescents' sexual knowledge and attitudes. Adolescence 83: pp. 517-527
- Fisher, T. D. (1987) Family communication and the sexual behavior and attitudes of college students. Journal of Youth and Adolescence 16: pp. 481-495
- Fisher, T. D., Hall, R. G. (1988) A scale for the comparison of the sexual attitudes of adolescents and their parents. Journal of Sex Research 24: pp. 90-100
- Gross, A.E. The male role and heterosexual behavior. In: Skovholt, T. M., Schauble, P. G., Davis, R. eds. (1980) Counseling men. Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, Monterey, California, pp. 52-70
- Hendrick, S. S., & Hendrick, C. (in press). Multidemensionality of sexual attitudes.Journal of Sex Research.
- Hendrick, D., Hendrick, S. (1986) A theory and method of love. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 50: pp. 392-402
- Hendrick, C., Hendrick, S.S., Foote, F.H., Slapion-Foote, M.J. (1984) Do men and women love differently?. Journal of Social and Personal Relationship 1: pp. 177-195
- Hendrick, S.S., Hendrick, C., Slapion-Foote, M.J., Foote, F.H. (1985) Gender differences in sexual attitudes. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 48: pp. 1630-1642
- Herold, E.S., Way, L. (1988) Sexual self-disclosure among university women. Journal of Sex Research 24: pp. 1-14
- Hopkins, J.R. (1977) Sexual behavior in adolescence. Journal of Social Issues 33: pp. 67-85
- Kaats, G.R., Davis, K.E. (1970) The dynamics of sexual behavior of college students. Journal of Marriage and the Family 32: pp. 390-399
- Kahn, J.R. Sexual messages: Parental influences on children's sexual development. In: Goldberg, D.C. eds. (1985) Contemporary marriage. Dorsey Press, Homewood, Illinois, pp. 261-289
- Kaplan, H.S. (1974) The new sex therapy: Active treatment of sexual dysfunctions. Brunner/Maazel, New York
- Kaplan, H.S. (1979) Disorders of sexual desire. Brunner/Maazel, New York
- Leary, M.R., Dobbins, S.E. (1983) Social anxiety, sexual behavior, and contraceptive use. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 45: pp. 1347-1354
- Mercer, G.W., Kohn, P.M. (1979) Gender differences in the integration of conservatism, sex urge, and sexual behaviors among college students. Journal of Sex Research 15: pp. 129-142
- Mosher, D.L. (1979) Sex guilt and sex myths in college men and women. Journal of Sex Research 15: pp. 224-234
- Papini, D.R., Clark, S., Barnett, J.K., & Snell, W.E., Jr. (1988). Early adolescent age and gender differences in patterns of emotional self-disclosure to parents and friends. Submitted for publication.
- Papini, D.R., Farmer, F.L., Clark, S., Snell, W.E. (1988) An evaluation of adolescent patterns of sexual self-disclosure to parents and friends. Journal of Adolescent Research 3: pp. 387-401
- Papini, D.R., Snell, W.E., Jr., Belk, S.S., & Clark, S. (1988, April).Developmental correlates of women's and men's sexual self-disclosures. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Southwestern Psychological Association, Tulsa, OK.
- Peplau, L.A., Rubin, Z., Hill, C.T. (1977) Sexual intimacy in dating relationships. Journal of Social Issues 33: pp. 86-109
- Snell, W.E., Jr. (1986a). Convergent and discriminant validity of the Masculine Role Inventory. Submitted for publication.
- Snell, W.E. (1986) The Masculine Role Inventory: Components and correlates. Sex Roles 15: pp. 443-455
- Snell, W.E., Jr. (1988, April). Validation of the Extended Masculine Role Inventory. Paper presented at the 34th annual meeting of the Southwestern Psychological Association, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Snell, W.E., Belk, S.S., Hawkins, R.C. (1986) The masculine role as a moderator of stress-distress relationships. Sex Roles 15: pp. 359-366
- Snell, W.E., Belk, S.S., Hawkins, R.C. (1986) The Stereotypes About Male Sexuality Scale (SAMSS): Components, correlates, antecedents, consequences, and counselor bias. Social and Behavioral Sciences Document 16: pp. 9
- Snell, W.E., Belk, S.S., Hawkins, R.C. (1987) Alcohol and drug use in stressful times: The influence of the masculine role and sex-related personality attributes. Sex Roles 11: pp. 359-373
- Snell, W.E., Hawkins, R.C., Belk, S.S. (1988) Stereotypes about male sexuality and the use of social influence strategies in intimate realtionships. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology 7: pp. 42-48
- Snell, W.E., Papini, D.R. (1989) The Sexuality Scale: An instrument to measure sexual-esteem, sexual-depression, and sexual preoccupation. Journal of Sex Research 26: pp. 256-263
- Werner, P.D. (1988) Personality correlates of reproductive knowledge. Journal of Sex Research 25: pp. 219-234
- Zilbergeld, B. (1978) Male sexuality: a guide to sexual fulfillment. Little, Brown, Boston
- Development and validation of the Sexual Self-Disclosure Scale
Annals of sex research
Volume 2, Issue 4 , pp 307-334
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links