Communicating through pictures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this article we present design consideration for a visual language which may allow users with different linguistic backgrounds to communicate freely. This cross language communication uses icons which are graphically clear, semantically unambiguous, adaptable and, above all, simple.
- Beardon, C., Dormann, C., Mealing, S., Yazdani, M. (1993) Talking with Pictures: Exploring the Possibilities of Iconic Communication. Association for Learning Technology Journal 1: pp. 26-39
- Beardon, C. (1992) CD-Icon: An Iconic Language Based on Conceptual Dependency. Intelligent Tutoring Media 3: pp. 111-116
- Jones, S. (1990). eL: A Multilingual Grammar Analysing System. Technical Report, Department of Computer Science. University of Exeter.
- Kobayashi, K. (1986) Computers and Communications. MIT Press, Boston, MA
- Mealing, S., Yazdani, M. (1990) A computer-Based Iconic Language. Intelligent Tutoring Media 1: pp. 133-136
- Neurath, O. (1978).International Picture Language. University of Reading.
- Schank, R. (1975).Conceptual Information Processing. Amsterdam: North Holland.
- Yazdani, M. (1987). Artificial Intelligence for Tutoring. In Whiting, J. & Bell, D. A. (eds.)Tutoring and Monitoring Facilities for European Open Learning, 239–248. Elsevier Science Publishers.
- Yazdani, M & Goring, D. (1990). Iconic Communication, Technical Report, Department of Computer Science. University of Exeter.
- Communicating through pictures
Artificial Intelligence Review
Volume 9, Issue 2-3 , pp 205-213
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- conceptual dependency
- cross language communication
- Industry Sectors