Puzzles in the study of daily hassles
- Richard S. Lazarus
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Presented at a conference entitled, “Integrative Perspectives in Youth Development: Person and Ecology,” organized by R. K. Silbereisen, Berlin, West Germany, May 24–27, 1983.
- Ader, R. (1981).Psychoneuroimmunology, Academic Press, New York.
- Benner, P. (1984).Stress and Satisfaction on the Job: Work Meanings and Coping of Mid-Career Men, Praeger, New York.
- Brim, O. G., Jr., and Ryff, C. D. (1980). On the properties of life events. In Baltes, P. B., and Brim, O. G. (eds.),Life-Span Development and Behavior (Vol. 3), Academic Press, New York, pp. 367–388.
- Cohen, F., and Lazarus, R. S. (1983). Coping and adaptation in health and illness. In Mechanic, D. (ed.),Handbook of Health and Health Services, The Free Press, New York, pp. 608–635.
- Coyne, J. C., and Lazarus, R. S. (1980). Cognitive style, stress perception, and coping. In Kutash, I. L., and Schlesinger, L. B. (eds.),Handbook on Stress and Anxiety: Contemporary Knowledge, Theory, and Treatment, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, pp. 144–158.
- DeLongis, A., and Lazarus, R. S. (1982). Hassles, uplifts and health in aging adults: A paradox examined. Paper presented at meetings of American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.
- DeLongis, A., Coyne, J. C., Dakof, G., Folkman, S., and Lazarus, R. S. (1982). Relationship of daily hassles, uplifts, and major life events to health status.Health Psychol. 1: 119–136.
- Epstein, S. (1984). Aggregation and beyond: Some basic issues on the prediction of behavior.J. Personal., (in press).
- Folkman, S., & Lazarus, R. S. (1980). An analysis of coping in a middle-aged community sample.Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 21, 219–239.
- Folkman, S., and Lazarus, R. S. (1984). If it changes it must be a process: A study of emotion and coping during three stages of a college examination.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. (in press).
- Holroyd, K. A., and Lazarus, R. S. (1982). Stress, coping, and somatic adaptation. In Goldberger, L., and Breznitz, S. (eds.),Handbook of Stress: Theoretical and Clinical Aspects, The Free Press, New York, pp. 21–35.
- Horowitz, M. (1976).Stress Response Syndromes, Jason Aronson, New York.
- Horowitz, M. (1982). Psychological processes induced by illness, injury, and loss. In Millon, T., Green, C., and Meagher, R. (eds.),Handbook of Clinical Health Psychology, Plenum, New York, pp. 53–67.
- Hultsch, D. F., and Plemons, J. K. (1979). Life events and life-span development. In Baltes, P., and Brim, O. G. (eds.),Life-Span Development and Behavior (Vol. 2), Academic Press, New York, pp. 1–36.
- Jessor, R. (1981). The perceived environment in psychological theory and research. In Magnusson, D. (ed.),Toward a Psychology of Situations: An Interactional Perspective, Erlbaum, Hillsdale, N.J., pp. 297–317.
- Kanner, A. D., Coyne, J. C., Schaefer, C., and Lazarus, R. S. (1981). Comparison of two modes of stress measurement: Daily hassles and uplifts versus major life events.J. Behav. Med. 4: 1–39.
- Kaplan, N. M. (1979). The Goldblatt Memorial Lecture. II. The role of the kidney in hypertension.Hypertension 1: 456–461.
- Lazarus, R. S. (1978). A strategy for research on psychological and social factors in hypertension.J. Hum. Stress 4: 35–40.
- Lazarus, R. S., and DeLongis, A. (1983). Psychological stress and coping in aging.Am. Psychol. 38: 245–254.
- Lazarus, R. S., and Folkman, S. (1984). Coping and adaptation. In Gentry, W. D. (ed.),The Handbook of Behavioral Medicine, Guilford, New York, pp. 282–325.
- Lazarus, R. S., and Launier, R. (1978). Stress-related transactions between person and environment. In Pervin, L. A., and Lewis, M. (eds.),Perspectives in Interactional Psychology, Plenum, New York, pp. 287–327.
- Lazarus, R. S., Coyne, J. C., and Folkman, S. (1982). Cognition, emotion, and motivation: The doctoring of Humpty-Dumpty. In Neufeld, R. W. J. (ed.),Psychological Stress and Psychopathology, McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 218–239.
- Lewin, K. A. (1936).Principles of Topological Psychology, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Lewin, K. A. (1951). Field theory and learning. In Cartwright, D. (ed.),Field Theory in Social Science: Selected Theoretical Papers by Kurt Lewin, Harper, New York.
- Luborsky, L., Docherty, J. P., and Penick, S. (1973). Onset conditions for psychosomatic symptoms: A comparative review of immediate observation with retrospective research.Psychosom. Med. 35: 187–204.
- Meichenbaum, D., and Gilmore, J. B. (1980). Resistance: From a cognitive-behavioral perspective. In Wachtel, P. (ed.),Resistance in Psychodynamic and Behavioral Therapy, Plenum, New York.
- Meyer, R. J., and Haggerty, R. J. (1962). Streptococcal infections in families.Pediatrics April: 539–549.
- Monroe, S. M. (1983). Major and minor life events as predictors of psychological distress: Further issues and findings.J. Behav. Med. 6: 189–205.
- Puzzles in the study of daily hassles
Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 375-389
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of California, 94720, Berkeley, California