Danionella translucida, a new genus and species of cyprinid fish from Burma, one of the smallest living vertebrates
- Tyson R. Roberts
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Danionella translucida, a new genus and species of danioin cyprinid fishes, is described from Burma. Females are mature at 10–11 mm standard length, and the largest known specimen is only 12 mm. Ripe eggs are few in number and relatively large, 0.4–0.6 mm in diameter. Adults are scaleless and largely transparent, with a complex pattern of large melanophores on the ventral surface of the abdomen. Specializations observed in skeletal preparations include the ‘danioin notch’ in the medial surface of the mandibles; a large maxillo-mandibulary cartilage; a cartilage (epibranchial 5?) uniting the branchial arches 4 and 5; pharyngeal bones with a single row of 4 tricuspid teeth; and pectoral, pelvic, and caudal fins with fewer rays than reported or observed in any other members of the family Cyprinidae.
- Howes, G.J. 1979. Notes on the anatomy ofMacrochirichthys macrochirus (Valenciennes), 1844, with comments on the Cultrinae (Pisces, Cyprinidae). Bull. Brit. Mus. Nat. Hist., ser. zool. 36: 147–200.
- Roberts, T.R. 1984. Skeletal anatomy and classification of the neotenic Asian salmoniform superfamily Salangoidea (icefishes or noodlefishes). Proc. California Acad. Sci. 43: 179–220..
- Te Winkel, L.E. 1935. A study ofMistichthys luzonensis with special reference to conditions correlated with reduced size. J. Morph. 58: 463–535.
- Winterbottom, R. & A.R. Emery. 1981. A new genus and two new species of gobiid fishes (Perciformes) from the Chagos Archipelago, Central Indian Ocean. Env. Biol. Fish. 6: 139–149.
- Danionella translucida, a new genus and species of cyprinid fish from Burma, one of the smallest living vertebrates
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 231-241
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Skeletal anatomy
- Alcian blue-alizarin red preparations
- Danioin notch
- Maxillo-mandibulary cartilage
- Weberian apparatus
- Cyprinid vertebral formulae
- Tyson R. Roberts (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Ichthyology, California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA, 94118, U.S.A.