Bone mineral density in patients receiving suppressive doses of thyroxine for differentiated thyroid carcinoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine bone mineral density in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma receiving thyroxine replacement therapy in suppressive doses, we studied 65 patients (47 women and 18 men; age 25–83 years, mean±SD 52.5±15.4 years). Patients were free of thyroid cancer in clinical and laboratory examinations at the time of the study. Bone mineral density of the lumbar spine and both hips was measured by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. There was no decrease in bone density in either 32 postmenopausal or 15 premenopausal women compared with an age- and sex-matched control group, nor was any decrease in bone density found in men. Our data suggest that thyroxine treatment in suppressive doses in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma is not a risk factor for the development of osteoporosis.
- Riggs BL, Melton LJ III. Involutional osteoporosis.N Engl J Med 1986; 314: 1676–1686.
- Samaan NA, Maheshwari YK, Neder S, et al. Impact of therapy for differentiated carcinoma of the thyroid: an analysis of 706 cases.J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1983; 56: 1131–1138.
- Diamond T, Nery L, Hales I. A therapeutic dilemma: suppressive doses of thyroxine significantly reduce bone mineral measurements in both premenopausal and postmenopausal women with thyroid carcinoma.J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1991; 72: 1184–1188.
- Richelson LS, Wanner HW, Melton LJ III, Riggs BL. Relative contributions of aging and estrogen deficiency to postmenopausal bone loss.N Engl J Med 1984; 311: 1273–1275.
- McDermott MT, Kidd GS, Blue P, Ghead V, Hofeldt FD. Reduced bone mineral content in totally thyroidectomized patients: possible effect of calcitonin deficiency [abstract].J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1983; 369: 479.
- Hall ML, Heavens J, Ell PJ. Variation between femurs as measured by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA).Eur J Nucl Med 1991; 18: 38–40.
- Florkowski CM, Brownlie BE, Elliot JR, Ayling EM, Turner JG. Bone mineral density in patients receiving suppressive doses of thyroxine for thyroid carcinoma.N Z Med J 1993; 106: 443–444.
- Stall GM, Harris S, Sokoll LJ, Dawson-Hughes B. Accelerated bone loss in hypothyroid ptients overtreated withl,-thyroxine.Ann Intern Med 1991; 113: 265–269.
- Franklyn JA, Betteridge J, Daykin J, Holder R, Oates GD, Parle JV, Heath DA, Sheppard MC. Long-term thyroxine treatment and bone mineral density.Lancet 1992; 340: 435–437.
- Bone mineral density in patients receiving suppressive doses of thyroxine for differentiated thyroid carcinoma
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine
Volume 23, Issue 6 , pp 690-692
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bone mineral density drug effects
- Thyroxine therapeutic use
- Thyroid carcinoma drug therapy
- Osteoporosis epidemiology
- Industry Sectors