Perceptions and effectiveness in state mental health systems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Differences in the perceptions of state and local officials about mental health systems create obstacles to effective functioning. Data from 25 states were analyzed to identify these differences as well as the mechanisms being used to reconcile them. Outcomes from an intervention within one state are presented along with guidelines for reducing the dysfunctional effects of level-specific perceptions.
- Dearborn, D.C. and Simon, H.A. Selective perception: A note on the departmental identification of executives.Sociometry 1958,21 140–144.
- Golembiewski, R.T. Organization development in public agencies: Perspectives on theory and practice.Public Administration Review 1969, 29:4 367–377.
- Golembiewski, R.T. Managing tension between OD principles and political dynamics. In W.W. Burke (Ed.),The cutting edge: Current theory and practice in organization development. La Jolla, CA, University Associates, 1978.
- Jerrell, J.M. and Larsen, J.K. Policy and organizational shifts in state mental health systems.Administration in Mental Health, in press.
- Kouzes, J.M. and Mico, P.R. Domain theory: An introduction to organizational behavior in human service organizations.Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 1979, 15:4 449–469.
- Lieberman, S. The effects of changes in roles on the attitudes of role occupants.Human Relations 1956,9 358–402.
- Meyer, J.W. and Rowan, B. The structure of educational organizations. In N.W. Meyer & Associates (Eds.),Environments and organizations. San Francisco, Josey-Bass, 1978.
- Porter, Lyman W. Differential self-perception of management personnel and line workers.Journal of Applied Psychology 1958,42 105–109.
- Sarbin, T.R. and Allen, V.L. Role theory. In G. Lindzey and E. Aronson (Eds.),The Handbook of Social Psychology (Vol. 1). Reading, MA, Addison-Wesley, 1968.
- Scott, W.R., Dornbusch, S.M., Evashwick, C.J., Magnani, L., and Sagatun, I. “Task Conception and Work Arrangement,” (Memorandum No. 97). Stanford, CA, Stanford University Center for Research and Development in Teaching, 1972.
- Thompson, J.D.Organizations in action. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1967, pp. 134–138.
- Weick, K.E. Educational organizations as loosely coupled systems.Administrative Science Quarterly 1976, 21:1 1–19.
- Weisbord, M.R. Why organization development hasn't worked (so far) in medical centers.Health Care Management Review 1976, 1:2 17–28.
- Perceptions and effectiveness in state mental health systems
Administration in mental health
Volume 13, Issue 2 , pp 138-148
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links