Preparation of Ni/Al2O3 catalysts from vapor phase by atomic layer epitaxy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ni/Al2O3 catalysts were prepared by saturating gas-solid reactions as an atomic layer epitaxy (ALE) process. Vaporized Ni(acac)2 was chemisorbed on a porous alumina support, and the produced surface complex was then air treated to remove the ligand residues. The nickel content could be precisely controlled by repeating this reactor cycle. On alumina preheated at 800°C, the nickel content varied from 3 to 21 wt%, when the number of reaction cycles was increased from one to ten. The performance of the Ni-catalysts was evaluated in the gas-phase hydrogenation of toluene. The preheat temperature of alumina influenced the activity of the catalyst, and a maximum in the activity was observed for catalysts prepared from alumina preheated at 875°C. Catalysts prepared by four reaction cycles, containing about 10 wt% nickel, gave the highest utilization of nickel.
- T. Suntola, Mater. Sci. Rep. 4 (1989) 261.
- T. Suntola and J. Antson, US Patent No. 4058430 (1977).
- T. Suntola, E.-L. Lakomaa, H. Knuuttila, P. Knuuttila, O. Krause and S. Lindfors, FI84562.
- T. Suntola et al., FI 87892 (1993).
- E.-L. Lakomaa, Appl. Surf. Sci., in press.
- S. Uemura et al., J. Chem. Eng. Japan 22 (1989) 48.
- K. Omata, H. Mazaki, H. Yagita and K. Fujimoto, Catal. Lett. 4 (1990) 123.
- H. Knözinger and P. Ratnasamyk, Catal. Rev.-Sci. Eng. 17 (1978) 31.
- M. Lindblad and L.P. Lindfors, in:New Frontiers in Catalysis, Proc. 10th Int. Congr. on Catalysis, part B, eds. L. Guczi, F. Solymosi and P. Tétényi (Adadémiai Kiadó, Budapest, 1993) p. 1763.
- J.-P. Jacobs, J.G.H. Reintjes, H.H. Brongersma, L.P. Lindfors and O. Jylhä, Catal. Lett. 25 (1994) 315.
- S. Smeds, T. Salmi, L.P. Lindfors and O. Krause, Appl. Catal., submitted.
- J.C. Kenvin, M.G. White and M.B. Mitchell, Langmuir 7 (1991) 1198.
- J.A.R. van Veen, G. Jonkers and W.H. Hesselink, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. I 85 (1989) 389.
- J.P. Dismukes, L.H. Jones and J.C. Bailar Jr., J. Phys. Chem. 65 (1961) 792.
- L.P. Lindfors and T. Salmi, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 32 (1993) 34.
- S. Narayanan and K. Uma, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. I 81 (1985) 2733.
- Preparation of Ni/Al2O3 catalysts from vapor phase by atomic layer epitaxy
Volume 27, Issue 3-4 , pp 323-336
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Ni/Al2O3 catalysts
- surface saturation
- hydrogenation of toluene
- Industry Sectors