A study of the preactivation of a copper chromite catalyst
- R. B. C. Pillai
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Copper chromite was studied for the reductive alkylation of aniline with acetone to N-isopropylaniline as a function of the catalyst prereduction conditions. In order to optimize prereduction conditions the catalyst was reduced in an atmosphere of hydrogen at different temperatures: 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 and 450°C and for different durations. The activity of reduced catalysts was determined. The X-ray diffractograms of all catalyst samples were taken. Partially reduced copper species were determined by chemical analysis. Prereduced catalyst having more Cu(I) species showed a greater activity than the fresh catalyst containing only Cu(II) ions and than that of the catalyst containing more Cu(0) ions. From these studies it was inferred that the active sites of the copper chromite catalyst used for reductive alkylation of amines are Cu(I) species.
- R. Hubaut, J.P. Bonnelle and M. Daage, J. Mol. Catal. 55 (1989) 170.
- R. Hubaut, M. Daage and J.P. Bonnelle, Appl. Catal. 22 (1986) 243.
- V. Narasimhan, P. Patnaik and Sree Ramamurthy,Proc. 8th Nat. Symp. on Catalysis, Sindri February 1987, India.
- Rong Jing Fang, Yao Jainlog, Wu Yutong and Wang Quiwa, J. Chim. Univ. Sci. Techn. 19 (1989) 161.
- J.D. Stroupe, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 71 (1949) 569.
- S. Mehta, G.W. Simmons, K. Klier and R.G. Herman, J. Catal. 57 (1979) 339.
- J.R. Monnier, G. Apai and M.J. Hanrahman, J. Catal. 88 (1984) 523.
- T.H. Fleisch and R.L. Mieville, J. Catal. 90 (1984) 165.
- G.R. Sheffer and T.S. King, J. Catal. 115 (1989) 376.
- B. Miya, O. Yamamoto, F. Hoshino and M. Taguchi, Koggo Kagaku Zasshi 65 (1962) 1357.
- B. Miya, F. Hoshino and I. Iwasa, J. Catal. 5 (1966) 401.
- R. Bechara, G. Wrobel, M. Daage and J.P. Bonnelle, Appl. Catal. 16 (1985) 15.
- R.B.C. Pillai, K.K. Bhattacharyya and C.N. Pillai, Ind. J. Chem. 29 A (1990) 1115.
- A study of the preactivation of a copper chromite catalyst
Volume 26, Issue 3-4 , pp 365-371
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- copper chromite
- reductive alkylation
- Industry Sectors
- R. B. C. Pillai (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology, 600 036, Madras, India