Mechanism of grain boundary strengthening of steels
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The mechanism of grain boundary strengthening depends on several factors, above all the grain size and the condition of the grain boundaries.
In fine-grained steels the effect of the barrier mechanism of grain boundary strengthening is negligible, while the effect of grain boundaries on resistance to deformation described by the Hall—Petch equation is manifest indirectly through the effect of strain hardening with a more rapid increase of dislocation density.
With decreasing relative length of grain boundaries (large grains) or enrichment of grain boundaries in impurities and precipitates of second phase the number of potential dislocation sources near grain boundaries decreases. In this case the fulfillment of the Hall—Petch relationship indicates the barrier mechanism of grain boundary strengthening.
The barrier effect of cell boundaries is evident in austenitic steels with large deformations, which leads to deviation of σf=f(d−1/2) from linear.
- R. W. Honeycomb, Plastic Deformation of Metals, St. Martin (1968).
- Armstrong, R. (1962) Phil. Mag. 7: pp. 45
- Conrad, H. (1973) Model of strain hardening to explain the effect of grain size on the flow stress of metals. Ultrafine Grains in Metals. Metallurgiya, Moscowpp. 206
- Holzmann, M., Man, J. (1966) J. Iron Steel Inst. 204: pp. 230
- Evans, J., Rawlings, R. (1968) J. Met. Sci. 2: pp. 221
- Blucher, D., Grozner, D., Enrietto, D. (1976) Strength and toughness of hot rolled ferritic-pearlitic steels. Fracture. Mir, Moscowpp. 246
- Irvin, K., Gladman, T., Pickering, F. (1969) J. Iron Steel Inst. 207: pp. 1017
- Marienkowski, M., Fisher, R. (1965) Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 233: pp. 293
- March, D. (1970) Phil. Mag. 21: pp. 95
- Michel, D., Moteff, J., Lovell, A. (1973) Acta Met. 21: pp. 1269
- Popov, A. A., Farber, V. M. (1975) Effect of deformation on the fine structure of austenitic steels with carbide hardening. Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Metall. 10: pp. 107
- Belik, E. V. (1967) Structural changes and brittleness of molybdenum during deformation. Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 24: pp. 535
- Gordienko, L. K. (1973) Substructural Hardening of Metals and Alloys. Nauka, Moscow
- Gol'dshtein, M. I. (1976) Precipitation hardening of austenitic steel with vanadium. Fiz. Met. Metalloved. 41: pp. 165
- Mechanism of grain boundary strengthening of steels
Metal Science and Heat Treatment
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 104-109
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors