Is there job satisfaction in community mental health?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
After discussing the importance of job satisfaction, this paper presents data concerning current levels and sources of job satisfaction in community mental health centers. Data came from a survey completed by 164 staff members working in 22 different programs located in Michigan. The return rate was 94%. Results indicated that compared to workers in other occupations, the staff were about average in satisfaction with co-workers and supervision, but low in satisfaction with the work itself. The two major sources of job satisfaction reported by staff were the level of accomplishment experienced in the work and the degree of clarity in organizational goals and policies. The paper concludes by suggesting ways in which job satisfaction in community mental health could be increased.
- Cherniss, C. (1976) Preentry issues in consultation. American Journal of Community Psychology 4: pp. 13-24
- Cherniss, C. (1978) The consultation readiness scale: An attempt to improve consultation practice. American Journal of Community Psychology 6: pp. 15-21
- Dunn N. Mental health agency fares well in audit.Ann Arbor News, February 26, 1976, p. 3.
- Frank, J. (1973) Persuasion and healing. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Md.
- Mills, C. W. (1951) White collar. Oxford University Press, New York
- Oppenheimer, M. (1975) The unionization of the professional. Social Policy 5: pp. 34-40
- Reiff, R. (1966) Mental health manpower and institutional change. American Psychologist 21: pp. 540-548
- Sarason, S. B. (1974) The psychological sense of community: Prospects for a community psychology. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, Calif.
- Sarata, B. P. V.Job satisfactions of individuals working with the mentally retarded. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yale University, 1972.
- Schwartz, M. S., Will, G. T. Intervention and change on a mental hospital ward. In: Bennis, W. G., Benne, K. D., Chinn, R. eds. (1961) The planning of change. Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York
- Smith, P. C., Kendall, L. M., Hulin, C. L. (1969) The measurement of satisfaction in work and retirement. Rand McNally, Chicago
- Stotland, E., Kobler, A. L. (1965) Life and death of a mental hospital. University of Washington Press, Seattle, Wash.
- Work in America. Report of a task force to the secretary of HEW. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1973.
- Is there job satisfaction in community mental health?
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 309-318
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links