Crystallization of interdendritic graphite in cast iron
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Interdendritic graphite in cast iron forms upon non-equilibrium solidification of the graphite-austenite eutectic under conditions of limited diffusional mobility of carbon brought about either by supercooling of the melt, or additions of elements which retard the diffusion of carbon. Solidification of the liquid of eutectic composition begins with the formation of austenite, which grows in the form of branched dendrites.
The solidification of finely differentiated eutectic begins when the carbon content of the melt reaches a value high enough for the growth of strongly branched graphite crystals.
- N. G. Girshovich, Solidification and Properties of Cast Iron in Castings [Russian translation], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1966).
- U. Ueda "Effect of nitrogen on the form of graphite in cast irons treated with titanium", Imono,32, No. 9, 696–702 (1960).
- S. Parent and M. Decrop, "Le titan dans le fonte," Fonderie, No. 244, 205–225 (1966).
- T. Oide "Influence of titanium on the properties of cast iron," Imono,54, No. 9, 619–627 (1982).
- M. H. Khan, "The influence of titanium on the mechanical and other properties of cast iron", 44-th International Foundry Congress, Firenze (1977), pp. 83–88.
- R. Elliot, Control of Eutectic Solidification, [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1987).
- K. P. Bunin and Yu. N. Taran, Structure of Cast Iron [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1972).
- S. Nishikawa and S. Yamamoto, "Conditions and mechanism of eutectic solidification of graphite in grey cast iron", Imono,49, No. 9, 525–532 (1977).
- W. Kurz and D. Fisher, "Dendrite in eutectic alloys: the coupled zone", International Metall. Reviews,24, No. 5, 117–204 (1979).
- W. Kurz and R. Trivedi, "Solidification microstructures: recent developments and future directions", Acta Metall. Mater.,38, No. 1, 1–17 (1990).
- A. M. Mikhailov, V. I. Vorontsov, and N. S. Bespalov, "Use of the decantation method in studying the soli of cast iron", in: Melting and Solidification of Alloys: Tr. MISiS, No. 123, Metallurgiya, Moscow (1980), pp. 18–26.
- I. F. Wallace, "Effect of minor elements on the structure of cast irons", Trans. AFS,83, 363–378 (1975).
- M. S. Flemings, Solidification Processing, McGraw-Hill, New York (1974).
- H. Jones and W. Kurz, "Growth temperature and the limits of coupled growth in unidirectional solidification of Fe−C eutectic alloys", Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME,IIA, No. 8, 1265–1273 (1980).
- A. P. Vorov'ev, A. P. Vorontsov, and A. M. Mikhailov, "Effect of cooling rate on the shape and size of graphite in Ni−C alloys", Liteinoe Proizvod., No. 6, 8–9 (1985).
- O. V. Kuragin, "Increasing the service properties of iron-carbon alloys by the addition of dispersed particles of titanium carbide", Author's abstract of dissertation, Candidate of Technical Sciences, Moscow (1988).
- M. A. Krishtal and A. I. Volkov, Multicomponent Diffusion in Metals [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1985).
- C. Wagner, Thermodynamics of Alloys, Cambridge (1952).
- Yu. V. Balkavoi, R. A. Aliev, and V. K. Bakanov, First-Order Interaction Parameters in Iron Alloys [in Russian], Chermetinformatsiya, Moscow (1987).
- V. A. Grigoryan, L. N. Belyanchikov, and A. Ya. Stomakhin, Theoretical Foundations of Electrosteel Melting Processes [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1987).
- É. V. Zakharchenko, Yu. N. Levchenko, V. G. Gorenko and P. A. Varenik, Cast Iron Castings with Spheroidal and Vermicular Graphite [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1986).
- Crystallization of interdendritic graphite in cast iron
Metal Science and Heat Treatment
Volume 34, Issue 5 , pp 297-301
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors