Superacidic FSO3H/HF catalyzed butane isomerization 
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Superacid catalyzed isomerization of butane was studied. Highly efficient isomerization of butane to 2-methylpropane (isobutane) was achieved using fluorosulfuric acid containing up to 5% of hydrogen fluoride acting as a protic co-acid. The isomerization when carried out in excess FSO3H at 21 ° C in a flow system gave ∼70% conversion to 2-methylpropane with generally less than 3% cracking. When 2-methylpropane was isomerized under similar conditions about 12% butane was formed. Attempted isomerization of pentane and hexane with prolonged reaction times in a static system results in predominant protolytic cleavage (cracking).
- Bagno, A., Bukala, J., Olah, G.A. (1990) J. Org. Chem. 55: pp. 4248
- Schulz, H., Homann, M. (1989) C4-Hydrocarbons and Derivatives. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York
- Oil and Gas Journal 56, No. 13 (1958) 73–76, Am. Chem. Soc. Div. Petr. Chem. Abst. Papers, Miami Beach Meeting, Sept. 1978.
- Asinger, F. (1968) Paraffins. Pergamon Press, Oxford, New York
- Olah, G.A., Prakash, G.K.S., Sommer, J. (1985) Superacids. Wiley-Interscience, New York
- G.A. Olah, U.S. Patent 3,708,553; 3,766,286.
- G.A. Olah, U.S. Patent 3,839,489.
- G.A. Olah, U.S. Patent 3,855,346.
- G.A. Olah,Carbocations and Electrophilic Reactions (Verlag Chemie-Wiley, 1973) 116–117.
- Brouwer, R.M. (1968) Rec. Trav. Chim. 87: pp. 1435
- Unpublished observations.
- A referee pointed out that Gillespie reported (J. Am. Chem. Soc. 110 (1988) 6051) the acidity of anhydrous HF being H0-15.1, thus identical with that of FSO3H. This is the case, however, only for extremely purified anhydrous HF. Even smallest amounts of impurities reduce the acidity to H0-11, the practical acidity generally observed.
- Superacidic FSO3H/HF catalyzed butane isomerization 
Volume 10, Issue 3-4 , pp 239-247
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Butane isomerization
- superacid catalysis
- Industry Sectors