A new spin test for the equivalence principle
- N. D. Hari Dass
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The existing impressive tests for the strong equivalence principle are reviewed and their classical nature is emphasized. The possibility is raised here that intrinsic quantum spins may behave differently from orbital angular momentum in gravitational fields. The techniques developed to measure the electric dipole moment of the neutron are shown to offer hopes of testing this hypothesis. Einstein's theory predicts a null result for this experiment. This would constitute the first quantum test for the strong equivalence principle. Deviation from a null result would invalidate Einstein's theory of gravitation, as well as indicate the failure of the discrete symmetries (P, T) in gravitation.
- Williams, J. G., Dicke, R. H., Bender, P. L., Alley, C. O., Carter, W. E., Currie, D. G., Eckhardt, D. H., Faller, J. E., Kaula, W. M., Mulholland, J. D., Plotkin, M. H., Poultney, S. K., Shelio, P. J., Silverberg, E. C., Sinclair, W. S., Slade, M. A., and Wilkinson, D. T. (1976).Phys. Rev. Lett.,36, 551; Schapiro, I. I., Counselman, C. C., and King, R.W. (1976).Phys. Rev. Lett.,36, 555.
- Hulse, R. A., and Taylor, J. H., (1975).Ap. J. Lett.,195, L51.
- Bertoti, B., ed. (1974).Experimental Graviation, Proceedings of the International School of Physics, “Enrico Fermi”, Course LV (Academic, New York).
- Hari Dass, N. D., and Radhakrishnan, V. (1975).Astrophys. Lett.,16, 135.
- Hari Dass, N. D. (1976).Phys. Rev. Lett.,36, 393.
- Baird, J. K., Dress, W. B., Miller, P. D., and Ramsay, N. F. (1973).Phys. Rev. D,7, 3147; Ramsey, N. F. (private communication).
- Golub, R., and Pendleburry, J. M. (1972).Contemp. Phys.,13, 519; also private communications.
- Mezei, F. (1972)Z. Phys.,255, 146.
- Hari Dass, N. D. “Experimental tests for some quantum effects in gravitation”, Niels Bohr preprint, No. NBI-HE-9-76 (submitted toAnn. Phys, N.Y.).
- A new spin test for the equivalence principle
General Relativity and Gravitation
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 89-93
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- N. D. Hari Dass (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, DK-2100, Copenhagen Ø, Denmark