Quantum nonlocality without counterfactual definiteness?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Stapp's recent proof of the nonlocality of quantum mechanics is critically discussed. It is demonstrated that in his derivation of the Bell inequalities an extra requirement, over locality, is used, which is tantamount to counterfactual definiteness, and that is not a consequence of locality.
- H. P. Stapp,Found. Phys. 18, 427, 833 (1988).
- H. P. Stapp, inPhilosophical Implications of Quantum Theory, J. Cushing and E. McMullin, eds. (Notre Dame University Press, Notre Dame, 1989); also, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Report LBL-24257, 1988.
- H. P. Stapp,Phys. Rev. D 3, 1303 (1971);Nuovo Cimento 29B, 270 (1975);40B, 191 (1977);Found. Phys. 10, 767 (1980).
- L. E. Ballentine,Am. J. Phys. 54, 883 (1986).
- N. Bohr, “The causality problem in atomic physics,” inNew Theories in Physics (International Institute of Intellectual Cooperation, Paris, 1939), p. 11–45.
- J. F. Clauser and M. A. Horne,Phys. Rev. D 10, 526 (1974).
- W. M. de Muynck and J. T. van Stekelenborg,Ann. Phys. (Ser.7 45, 222 (1988).
- H. P. Stapp, private communication.
- W. M. de Muynck,Found. Phys. 14, 111, 199 (1984).
- W. De Baere,Lett. Nuovo Cimento 39, 234 (1984);40, 488 (1984);Adv. Electronics and Electron Phys. 68, 245 (1986).
- G. C. Ghirardi and T. Weber,Lett. Nuovo Cimento 26, 599 (1979),Nuovo Cimento 78B, 9 (1983); G. C. Ghirardi, A. Rimini, and T. Weber,Lett. Nuov Cimento 27, 293 (1980).
- Quantum nonlocality without counterfactual definiteness?
Foundations of Physics Letters
Volume 3, Issue 4 , pp 325-342
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- quantum mechanics
- hidden-variables theory
- Bell inequalities
- counterfactual definiteness