Effects of adsorbed oxygen containing molecules on the XANES of Pt in supported Pt/SiO2 catalysts
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The variation of the X-ray absorption coefficient above the Pt-LIII edge after adsorption of crotonaldehyde, butyraldehyde, crotylalcohol and butanol on a Pt/SiO2 catalyst was studied by means of X-ray absorption spectroscopy. The adsorption of these molecules caused the intensity of the white line to decrease in the order CrHO>CrOH∼BuHO≫>BuOH. From this we concluded that adsorbed unsaturated compounds donate electrons from their double bonds to Pt. The magnitude of the observed effects was approximately equal for the C=O and the C=C group. Over the Pt/SiC2 catalysts studied, crotonaldehyde was concluded to be adsorbed via both double bonds. The interaction of the free electron pairs of the oxygen was concluded to be significantly weaker than the interaction of the electrons in the π-bonds.
- D. Richard, J. Ockelford, A. Giroir-Fendler and P. Gallezot, Catal. Lett. 3 (1989) 53.
- P.N. Rylander and D.R. Steele, Tetrahedron Lett. 20 (1969) 1578.
- M.A. Vannice and C.C. Twu, J. Catal. 82 (1983) 213.
- R. Touroude, J. Catal. 65 (1980) 120.
- H. Yoshitake and Y. Iwasawa, J. Phys. Chem. 213 (1991) 7368.
- A.N. Mansour, J.W. Cook Jr. and D.E. Sayers, J. Phys. Chem. 88 (1984) 2330.
- M. Brown, R.E. Peierls and E.A. Stern, Phys. Rev. B 15 (1977) 738.
- H.A. Benes, R.M. Curtis and H.P. Struder, J. Catal. 10 (1968) 328.
- D.C. Koningsberger and R. Prins, eds.,Principles, Applications, Techniques of EXAFS, SEXAFS and XANES, Chemical Analysis, Vol. 92 (Wiley, New York, 1988).
- E.A. Stern and K. Kim, Phys. Rev. B 23 (1981) 3781.
- W.H. McMasters, N.K.D. Grande, J.H. Mallet and J.H. Hubell,Compilations of X-Ray Cross Sections (Lawrence Radiation Laboratory, 1969).
- B.J. McHugh, G.L. Larsen and G.L. Haller, J. Phys. Chem. 94 (1990) 8621.
- D. A. Outka and J. Stöhr, J. Chem. Phys. 88 (1988) 3539.
- F.W. Lytle, J. Catal. 43 (1976) 376.
- Ch.G. Raab and J.A. Lercher, J. Mol. Catal. 75 (1992) 71.
- M.A. Vannice and B. Sen, J. Catal. 115 (1989) 65.
- V. Gutmann,The Donor-Acceptor Approach to Molecular Interactions (Plenum Press, New York, 1978).
- R.L. Augustine, Catal. Rev.-Sci. Eng. 13 (1976) 285.
- Effects of adsorbed oxygen containing molecules on the XANES of Pt in supported Pt/SiO2 catalysts
Volume 21, Issue 3-4 , pp 303-308
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- adsorption of aldehydes and alcohols
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Physikalische Chemie und Christian Doppler Laboratorium für Heterogene Katalyse, Technische Universität Wien, Getreidemarkt 9, A-1060, Vienna, Austria
- 2. Department of Chemical Engineering, Yale University, YS,9 Hillhouse Av., PO Box 2159, CT06520, New Haven, USA